Art Project Progress

Crocheting has been a hobby of mine since I was six years old. My great-great aunt Stella taught me how to do simple stitches. After I mastered the basics, I moved on to patterns and she showed me how to follow them and how to make my stitches tighter. After I got more and more practice, I became better at making my rows even and my stitches neat and tight. My goal was to make beautiful doilies and table clothes like my great-great aunt Stella made using thin, fine thread.  I’m not quit there yet but I will someday learn.

I am in the middle of constructing a patch quilt afghan. I had to decide if I wanted to make this afghan a solid color or multicolored. I chose multicolored because I saw that I could make different patterns throughout the afghan by using different stitches that could only be noticed if I used different colored yarn. I am switching up the pattern every time I switch a color. I am either crocheting stitches that go, single, treble, single, or single, double, single. Both patterns I am using follow a A B A B pattern which means after making a row that consists of treble, single, treble or double, single, double, the next row I crochet will only consist of the single crochet stitch. I chose to make these patterns because when I am done the afghan, these different stitches are going to be very noticeable and it will look very neat. Using these stitches will also make the afghan thicker, therefore warmer.

When I crochet, I feel like I am spending my time wisely because I am getting a task accomplished, even if I am sitting on the bus going to school. It is achieving a goal and keeping me occupied anytime I just have time to sit down and relax.

afgan
afgan