Barbershop Blues

As always, this place has nobody in it. (Shakes head) I don’t know how much longer I’ll be able to take care of this place anymore without any help. Someone help me please! (Walks over to chair and takes a seat) Oh, this chair. I chopped up so much hair in this chair. The bank thinks they can just tell me I have to leave. They want me to leave my legacy, leave my career. Where am I gonna go? What am I gonna do for a living? How will I survive without this place? I’ve lived here all my life. Am I just gonna live the rest of my days rotting in the street. No! Well at least I hope not. Ugh. (Stands up and wanders around the shop) Grandpa always used to tell me that this place wouldn't lose business. Look at it now. Abandoned...

(Pause)

I've let my family down, because of you. You're the only reason I ever had any passion, or any will to live at all for that matter. Now I'm all burnt out. Without you nothing makes sense. Nothing, not even waking up in the morning. I need help. More employes, but how would I pay them with no money. Oh my god! Something needs to change. The only reason that i'm standing here in this spot today is to say I tried! Isn’t that enough! I’m tryin’ honey, i’m tryin’. I thought that my efforts would have been good enough, but I guess not. What else is left for me? You and the kids were my life. What do I have now? An outdated barber shop and a one bedroom apartment above it. Even that's gonna be taken from me soon. I just can’t win, they might as well take away my soul too. (Customer knocks on the door) "Hey are you guys open. I need a fresh cut"