But I've Got My Fingers, And These Ashes

The argument about the pros and cons of sweatshop labor is one that has been going on for quite some time. Morally, people working extensive hours, receiving little pay, working in dangerous factory conditions, and without any type of insurance is wrong. But, to supply the increasing demand for certain products and keep prices as reasonable as possible, cheap sweatshop labor is necessary.
This play is set in Sri Lanka, where the majority of the population is a sweatshop employee. There are multiple people who play a role in sweatshop function. In this play we all of them are able to be experienced. The factory owner, his intern, a sister, an over worked worker, and an illegal minor worker are all featured. A stuffed sock toy uniquely ties all of the characters together.

But I’ve Got My Fingers and These Ashes

Cast of Characters:
1. Bhagya Madush- An eleven year old Sri Lankan  girl who works in a textile “factory” and sweatshop. She is the oldest of three children and is the only child that works in the family. She is the daughter of Udari Supan.
2. Mr. Damith- The owner of the  textile “factory” and sweatshop. He illegally employs minors to increase production and fill his own pocket.
3. Udari Madush- A middle aged factory worker. She is a strong willed and opinionated seamstress. She is the mother of Bhagya Madush and works in Mr, Damith’s “factory”.
4. Ms. Runhtwa- A buyer for a well known clothing company. She is a younger woman and has a no tolerance attitude. She comes to Mr. Damith to buy into his underwear production for her employer.  She is also the younger sister of Udari Madush.
5. Vimukthi Pipuni-  A young man who is interning with Mr. Damith. It is his responsibility to “take out the trash” as Mr. Damith likes to put it.
6. Parbath- A stuffed sock toy made for Bhagya Madush by her mother, that works its way into the hands of each character

Stage Set-Up:
             The stage is divided into two parts. On the left is the factory floor where one workbench is in the center of that section facing the audience. On the bench there is an old sewing machine and a pile of white underwear. On the floor to the right of the bench is a small, black chamber pot. Projected behind this side of the stage is video of sweatshop workers working uninterrupted.
            In the middle of the two sections is a thin wall with a door in it. The door opens out onto the factory floor. The wall does not extend to the end of the stage so that there is there is a clear path between the all of the sceneries.
On the right side of the stage of the stage is Mr. Damith’s office. In the center of this section is a worn out desk and leather swivel chair. On the right side of the desk is a gavel. The desk is facing the audience.
In the background is a faint hum of sewing machines. The sound increases then fades to a hum when scenes change,
____________________________________________________________________________________
Act 1, Scene 1
Ms. Runhtwa
(All speech is directed to the audience)
(Enters stage left. Walking through the aisles. Harsh, demanding, and with authority, reaches out to touch a girl but does not.)
You there, girl. Girl. Answer me when I speak to you. Do you not know who I am? Turn you face and answer me. Turn your face to me girl. Let me look upon the face of insubordination.
(Stops scolding, turns to direct speech to another individual to her right)
Oh. Hello Mr..Mr. Damtih is it? I am......it’s pronounce Rhu-ni-twa. Ms. Runhtwa.... As it is a pleasure to meet you also. I have noticed that these women are working very diligently and the labels all appear to be in tip-top shape. So Mr. Damith, I am interested in buying some of you underwear. Will that be possible?
(Looks oddly before her, attempts to regain her audience’s attention. )
.... Mr. Damith the underwear...the underwear. Mr. Damith I want to buy your underwear!
(Fixes clothing after having to scream in an unladylike manner. Walks through the door into the office section of the stage)
Can we talk business? Our company is looking for a new underwear supplier, with both experience and reputation. And we were told that you are the best of the the best. Is that true?...Great. our company has just adopted a new code of conduct and the only issue I would like to bring up is the one of child labor. Our code of conduct states that all employees under the corporate company, may not employ under the age of 14. So I am going to need your signature here, here, aaaand here...Ha. Sir, please do not sit there and lie to me. There is no use. I am a woman who does her research and the small squeals coming from the door over there
(Points in the opposite direction)
.....Mhmmm. I know. But you see the thing is. I think these kids should work. Somebody has to teach them some discipline! Some respect. Kids these days are just so insubordinate.
(Leans in and whispers)
When they come around to do inspections, hide them. Hide those kids in a closet or something, but not that bathroom. Have you seen it?....Don’t do that.
(Leans back out and is disgusted)
I mean it is like a pig sty in there. I bet even pigs wouldn’t want to be in there.
(Stands up violently and walks to peer through a window to the factory floor)
They shouldn’t have to be cramped in there, when the floor is carpeted in feces and decorated with urine. I mean, would you want to be treated that way?.....I did not think so. Discipline is what these children need, but they don’t need to be treated like animals. This is only the first step in their lives. There is so much more out there for them when they leave here. They just need to reach out and gra...
(Turns around quickly, astonished)
What was that for?...That laugh?....
(Jokingly and forcing a laugh)
Ha! That’s funny. They stay here for life....What is that?
(Gently runs one hand across the stuffed sock on the desk)
...It’s better on the outside.
Act 1, Scene 2
Bhagya Madush

Setting: Chair at center stage at the end of the wall.
(Sits in chair at center stage and rocks back and forth)  
Sooooo what do you wanna talk about? Hmmm? Tell me. What is it? Huh? Tell me. 

…..Help? You think I need help? Noooooo. I am fine. Never been better. …..You want me to tell you about what? Oh ok. I can do that. I awake early morning at 4.30 a.m every morning, before the sun even has a chance to grace the land with its smile. I have to kindle the fire having washed my face; I gulp down some tea I leave for work early morning.  Mother and the rest are still sleep when I leave, but I leave the school clothes out for the younger ones and her uniform out on the table....
(Looks down and strokes the stuffed sock. Seems disappointed and angry)
I can’t go to school. No, I have to work. Without me we would barely make enough to feed two of us. Everything we buy is over priced. The rent, food, clothing, and all the other basic things we need. She gives me a choice, but I really don’t have one. I have to work. There is no other option.

Now it is the walk to that frightens me most. It’s because of the men.
(Gets up and stalks back and forth)
The men in dark jackets and hats that blend in with the shadows. You see they prey on girls like me. Mother says they sneak up on little girls and grab them
(Grabs at the air)
and before you even have the chance to scream,
(Sits on the floor and trembles and pretends to cry)
you are in a dark hole with girls trembling in crying. When I asked her what they do with those girls she said something about using their bodies for men’s pleasures.  I think she called it sex. Her description of it made almost made me throw up my breakfast. But I have never seen these men and I hope I never will. But I can always feel their presence. Especially when I walk near the fence. …..Oh there is a fence that surrounds all
(Puts arm out and scans it across an invisible landscape)
that surrounds everybody’s quarters, and they have these shiny pointy…Huh? Nope never. Never ever never do we leave. I  stay on the inside where it’s safer. My siblings go to school though. I have no time for that . Asides we gots to stay here. Be..be..bcuz ugh. I can never say this word right. Momma says I got to work on my words. Because
(Using fingers to count)
my dad’s dad’s  sister’s daughter did something bad to the man’s family who is over this all, even Mr. Damith. So we have to pay our way to the outside.  Till then I will be here with my family and pets. Sandamini,Nuwanthi, and Kusan. They are mice. Well not anymore, they are kind of like little dogs now. They eat our vegetables.
(Giggles and playfully touches the stuffed sock to nose)
.....Isn’t that right Parbath....
(Holds the stuffed sock out for the interviewer to see)
...that’s her name.
(Jumps up and speaks happily)
…..My supervisor, Mr. Damith, I used to think he was a blessing to us all. He lets us work our longs hours in the summer and sometimes….sometimes she doesn’t even give us breaks....Yeah I know isn’t that awesome. And he gives us these really cool pots. And you know what those are for. They are for your business
(Giggles)  (Walking around the stage)
And if you don’t finish all your work, you get to stay longer and work more.
(Looks down and strokes the stuffed sock. Tries to look the audience in the face, but can not. Fakes a smile).
Honestly, I don’t understand why so many of the people there look so sad and devastated. They look like someone has taken their life away and wont give it back but I love it. I mean without him, how would we be able to provide for our families. I love my family. You seee. He is so gracious. I…I …I even. This one time I got my… no I was assigned to the cleaning rooms. The entire room is like one big cloud. And we have to separate the plants. You have to pull out any bad or particles that are not supposed to be there, but be careful of thorns. Then you put the baby it in the pile with its friends. But I couldn’t breath in there. The air made my throat burn and there were always bugs flying at my eyes. Amal said it was because they were thirsty for my tears.
(Look of wonder and bewilderment)
I guess in some way we are all thirsty bugs aren’t we?.... All of us dreaming about and hovering above the thing we want most, but can’t reach it.
(Satisfied)
Maybe one day we won’t be thirsty anymore.
(Sits back in chair and looks off into the distance. Sighs deeply)

(Jumps in the air with an idea, look of astonishment)
Oh and there were these people who I work with and they got sick. Like really sick and they were coughing and their eyes were swollen and they just looked nasty.
(Giggles)
It was gross. They left one day with the big muscle man that walks through the aisles to make sure we do of work right and they never came back.
(Shrugs and coughs)
Mr. Damith says they took at trip to the forest for some special work, and not to worry about them. I won’t see them anymore. ….Hmmm I don’t know? I can’t wait to till I can go to the forest to do some special work.
(Sits in chair and rocks back and forth. turns and looks at right shoulder, and gets frightened. Begins to cry. Jumps behind chair and uses it  and the stuffed sock as a shield)
No! No! It’s one of the shadow men. Get away from me! No please.
(Points stuffed sock in the direction of the man)  
Make him go away
(Sniffling)
Make him go a way. No… I ....I have to go.... why are they coming after me? I mean...did I?... No, I didn’t say anything wrong. I praised him. You heard me praise him right? Right. I... I
(Runs off stage terrified)
Sorry!
Act 1, Scene 3
Udari Supan

(Wipes forehead continues sewing extremely tired and out of breath)
Wha..what is that smell.  What do you mean they won't let Amila empty her pot? That is ridiculous. Its 100 degrees in here and they won't her dump....
(Immediately puts head down and continues to work, hides a dingy stuffed sock in between her legs, looks up and smiles at the person walking by, whispers).
How is your family doing? Aren't we all? I haven't seen then I nearly a week. I had to leave my second  oldest in charge...Oh she is nine.
(Maternal Voice, puts sock back on the table and continues to sew the top together)
The youngest  came down with something. When I left he was coughing and his eyes were swollen shut. My eldest, Bhagya....You know her?.....Yes she was in the cleaning room until she got moved to the...
(Motions to vomit but catches herself, still out of breath gets up and tries pushing the table away but can't she does not have the strength).
I heard about that....I don’t know what that is. That stuff that falls from the ceiling?.... Well its not snow. I mean those people had been here for years....You hear them call it what? Its best? What’s best?...oh asbestos. That cant possibly be why people keep
(Falls to the floor arm is injured)
disappearing.
(Looks back to see a person coming and struggles to get up walks over to the door).
I can’t, I can’t. Move get over here and help me! Amila! Mai help! Help mmm.....
(Tries to get up but falls hits head and passes out).
Where, where am I? No. Sir please, you don't understand I was… I couldn’t breath and the pot and the smell.  Mr. Damith. No, I have kids. My family. I need this job more than you can understand. I can work double shifts and with no breaks and I promise you this won't ever happ..
(Gets off knees from begging and becomes angry, clutching the stuffed sock).
Fired?  I have been her for almost 13 years, never made a complaint, never stepped out of line. And you want to fire me because I passed out from the hear and tainted air that you allow us to breath! You can't fire me because I quit. To hell with this. I wasted my time here and for what? For you? So somebody else can have a fully clothed family, while mine is half dressed?
(Stands up furious. Voice is strong and loud, but not yelling, waving the sock around vigorously and angrily )
You and you family have lived the good life, while the majority, if not all of your employees lived a life below poverty. I know animals that live better than us. I bet each of your kids has their own bed in their own room, don’t they?..Hmph! My kids share a bed in the living/dining/kitchen/master/bedroom. And me, I don’t even have a bed. I have a sheet, that covers the laundry to be done. And  I am sure you already know about the bathing and bathroom situations, don’t you?....Thought so.
(Turns away and sighs deeply, smoothes hair back and confronts Mr. Damith)
You know there really is no point telling you what you already know. You already know it. We don’t have to stay here and you can’t make us. There are other ways of making it in life. You only live in poverty as ling as you allow yourself to. And I am done. But I am not done with you. I will be back, but not alone.I guess you need to hear it from the outside. From someone who can knock you flat on your ass.
(Sarcastically. Puts hands on desk and leans over into the audience)
You lost two employees today Mr. Damith, sir. My daughter and I quit.
(Violently throws papers off of the desk and walks off stage, stuffed sock in hand. Looks to the left and squints)

Act 1, Scene 4
Vimukthi .

(All speech is directed to the audience. a child is dead laying on the floor, left hand open)
                   (Paranoid, pacing across the floor, looking at the stuffed sock) 
How the hell does he expect me to cover this one up?! Bury them? No that won’t work we did that the last time. I could send them to the butcher shop; let them be torn to pieces. Nobody would know then Feed them to the dogs? Bury them?  
(Puts hand, motions a mouth speaking, and mimics boss).
If you don’t figure out how to cover this up, you will be back on the inside. And your mother will be right along with you. Appreciate what is given to you. Cherish it. Don’t bite the hand that feeds you Sampath. It’s not smart.
(Hand goes down, returns back to original character).
And why the hell does he call me Sampath! Last time I checked my name was Vimuthi. What am I supposed to do about mother? I finally got a chance to give her a taste of the outside life. She got to live on the outside, with the common people. I can’t take that away from her. She can’t go back to that horrible way of life.
(Sits down in a chair and puts head in hands)
Why does he do this to me!
(Looks at the stuffed sock, and tears up slightly, talking to the stuffed sock)
Burry them? No, I already thought of that. These people should have know what they were getting into. Who doesn’t know that white powder falling from the ceiling is wrong? Common sense right? And they all had a voice. Why didn’t any of them stand up for themselves? I did it and it got me to the outside. But then again I am sure Mr. Damith wouldn’t want all the employees in a rebellion. I mean they should know that they have rights and that there are rules and regulations that Mr. Damith should be following, but isn’t.  He can’t, well is not supposed to keep them over 10 hours. Why don’t they know this? If they did I would not have to “take out the trash”  and all of these people wouldnt be dead from asbestos inhalation. The could have abestoisis and not even know it. Just drop dead.  Already said that! Sure one or two people dead is no problem, but 15. I can’t do that. The forest? I’ve got it. What if I flushed them? Flush them down the same pipe that everything else goes. By the time the bodies get to the Yan Oya the bodies will be disintegrated. I mean, that is where all of our waste  goes and surely the acids and stuff will eat them. And if its not the acids some animal will find them. The sewage system.
(With no confidence)
It’s perfect. No harm no foul. They will be gone forever. Jobs protected....Bodies gone.
(Walks to where a young girl is lying on the floor and places the stuffed sock in her hand).
Takes this with you on to the next life. It’s yours after all.
Act 1, Scene 5
Little Sister
Setting: Standing in front of the factory work bench.

Little sister?  Little sister you came to the city from the village, Why did you change? You cut your hair short, started wearing trousers and short dresses. You were the most innocent girl in the village. What happened to you after coming to the city? We can’t correct the city But we can keep in mind to Protect the village.
(Reaches out, then pulls back in dismissal)
We used to be one. Me and you, together forever. We left the village for a better life. We left together and now you work for the people who put us down. They kill us. The work us to death. Our ignorance is taken advantage of.  
(In astonishment and in disbelief puts head down and gets on knees ).
I never thought it would be by the hands of my own flesh and blood  that I would end…..Do not  lie to me…You knew we were here. At the end of all of this, I can not complain.

Act 1, Scene 5
Mr. Damith
Setting: Bottom the stage, on the office side.

Ha…I don’t deserve this. I don’t.
(Stands up and yells)
I did them a favor. It was me! Not you. I gave them a home and a job. Ha!
(Sits back down and voice is back to normal. Opens the box that is next bed and opens it. A slight smile curls onto his face. He holds up the stuffed underwear and talks to it)
What would I be without you? You got me through this all. Remember when we used to be them? We used to work day in and day out. But the owner then never got put in jail. He dies rich and happy.  He died richa and happy while we all worked untill we were numb inhaled asbestos, but even then we didn’t know what was going on.
(Holds stuffed underwear  at eye level)
I did it for us mom. For us. You know that. They said that if we came forward, we would get extra. And we did. We got it all. I got an internship and then took over the company. We made it. Compared to my mentor conditions were 100 times better, hours were shorter, and the amount of asbestos was cut but 25%
(Stands up and paces the cell)
They don’t kow how good they had it, I was heaven in deep corners of hell. Sure people died, but when are people not dying? Huh
(Screams and the ceiling)  
Never!
(Voice return to normal)
ahaahahhahahahhaha. I did them a favor.
(Holds up the stuffed underwear and twirls around in a circle like a child)
ahahahahaahaha……a favor.

Act 1, Scene 6
Udari Supan and Ms.Runhtwa: Retaliation

(Ms.Ruhntwa slams her fists on the desk, as Udari Supan bursts through the office door to do the same. Both are furious.)

Both: My own sister! My own god damned sister.
(Lights go off Ms. Runhtwa. She holds her position. Lights remain on Udari Supan. Her face curls into tears as she begins almost scream at Mr. Damith. She wags her finger in the face of her former employer)

Udari Madush: Oooooh Noooooooo! You don’t get a chance to talk this time. No! All me. It’s about time somebody knocked you flat on your ass the same way……
(Lights rise on Ms. Runtwa and fade on Udari Supan. Ms. Runhtwa’s palms are now flat on the table as she angrily leans over the desk)

You can’t get away with this. These people are being treated like animals.
(Laughs slightly)
Animals are treated better then them. How could you? You used to be one of them. Remember those days? It was you down there on the floors and in those rooms picking the bugs and stems from the new cotton plants.
(Wags her finger and shakes her head. Turns from the desk and faces the window.)  
Best believe I have doe my homework Mr. Damith and I am ready to give a full report. But I won’t flatter you. No you already know what you have done and what you “think” you are capable of. You live solely for yourself, fattening your pockets made by the people on that floor down there. Made by my sister and by my niece.
(Turns back to the desk in tears)
You son of a bitch!

Both: 
(Yelling. Violently slams fists on the desk).
You!…..

(Lights switch from Ms. Runhtwa to Udari Supan. Angirly she leans over the desk into the face of her former employer. Her somewhat screaming has reduced to a stern talking.)

Udari Madush: The same way we have been for so long.
(A small smile appears on her face. Stands straight up and walks over to the window and look on to the factoy floor . She speaks calmly and collected)
But I didn’t come here to yell and scream at you. No I don’t have the time nor the energy, I guess I am here to thank you.
(Turns and looks in the direction of the desk)
Since I haven’t been working here I have become even more tired then ever and I have so much time. I have time to spend with my family, to get in touch with myself and realize me. Before you all I knew was work, but that final straw it gave me myself back.
(Holds chest in pain and fails to old back tears)
I found the me I was before all of this. The me that lived in the village and never had anything to be unhappy about. An unbreakable spirit  
(Releases chest and sits down in the chair.)
So thank you. Thank you very much.
(Hand extends awaiting a handshake, but it is not accepted. Puts head down and slowly to get up using the desk as support. Slightly struggles.)  
Oh and about Ms. Runhtwa. She informed me that the two of you would be meeting soon. Something about her not appreciating the…
(Breath shortens as she struggles to get words out.)
She is my body now that mine cannot go one. My body is not strong but my spirit remains unbroken. She carries it for me as my sister.
(Coughs and falls to the floor. Her body is dragged off stage as lights rise on Ms. Runhtwa)

Ms. Runhwa:
(Breaks down crying. Then gathers self to speak. Speaks in a calm and stern voice)
My sister was an unbreakable spirit. A fighter and now that she cannot her body can not fight, I am her body. So the flattering must stop. The fuel line to your confidence, conceit, and hell hole that you call a factory have been cut. But this all happens at the expense of you not the people who work for you. Mr. Damith I am serving you with this subpoena. See you in court.
(Places a large manila envelope on the desk, and wipes a tear from her cheek. She then walks out the door, looking back once she reaches the door.)

Act 1, Scene 7
Judge
Setting: The desk on the office side of the stage
(Scans his finger across the papers that are before him then stacks the papers and straightens them. Fixes his glasses and begins to speak in a firm and absolute voice.)
The defendant has been tried and convicted on the following charges. Murder in the second degree in the cases of Udari Madush, Bhaygah Madush, and thirteen other ClothRite employees. Illegal employment of over one-hundred and seventy-five minors. And finally negligence and failure to meet the building safety standard in multiple sections. On this day the defendant is sentenced to life in prison. His intern Vimuthi Pipuni will assume Mr. Damith’s position, It is so ordered.
(Slams a gavel down and walks off stage.)

Act 1, Scene 8
Beyond
Setting: Center stage at the end of the wall, between the two sections.

You see I don’t have a toothbrush. And I don’t have any toothpaste neither. But
(Holds finger up )
I’ve got my finger
(Reaches down and picks up ashes and lets them fall through her fingers)
and these ashes.I didn’t have the outside, but I had the inside.
(Smiles and holds stuffed sock close to her body)
The inside. I can’t complain.
(Walks to stage left and then to center again)
I can’t complain. I can’t complain.
(Plops down at center stage, folds one leg over the other and scans the audience)
I mean look at me. Sure I was beaten, slapped down even. And sure our work conditions were not the fanciest and best they could be. And hey! Sure my mother was only a free woman for a few hours before she died. But I can’t complain. Yes, I can’t deny it, I was locked in a bathroom when the inspections came through.
(Stands up and begins to cry)
I can’t complain. I am not thirsty anymore. I don’t have to hover over my dream.
(Jumps up excited, arms and legs spread)
Freedom!
(Legs and arms slowly come back to the body and head raises to look directly up)
I am not thirsty anymore.  
(Drops stuffed sock on the floor and walks off stage)

Act 1, Scene 5
Little Sister.
Performed By: Manna-Symone Middlebrooks