Chile

​My script 

It’s something so beautiful about tragedy, about hearts breaking into terroristic hands. There is a story lying beneath the ashes, the body, Someone’s soul died inside of that building,

He was a husband, a son, a

father and Pinochet took his titles away from him.

Who gave him the right to play god?

No one spoke of it in Chile; my people are losing all hope for something greater than them, an idea that can change how their kids and grand children will view their heritage and country,

I never want them to be ashamed of where they come from,

The mesh of tracery and triumph that shifted the way the world looked at us.

I think we are allowing outside forces and Pinochet to destroy us because we depend on the idea of liberation from all of the horrible things in the world,

We fell for his tactics,

We allowed him to twist our thoughts and bullets through our skulls,

How many lives will be lost lessoning the chance of ever gaining happiness.

I was told the United States decided to help wreck my homeland and leader because they felt it was necessary to force the American dream through our soil that my parents grew crops on to feed us,

They never put food on the table for us they just stripped us of everything we owned

Allende was found with bullet wounds and our future, all we ask is why wasn’t there any say of the people?

Just the United States and Pinochet opinions on how we should live

Oh the glorious wonders of destruction,

On September 29, 2003

It was revealed that the United States government helped create a monster.

We worked so hard for a revolution it was disregarded because the peoples weren’t good enough for a vote or valid explanation. “Voting boxes are like suggestions not everything inside matter”

My process
The world is so much greater than the United states, as a citizen here I tend to forget that Americans often exaggerate our circumstances and not look at the horrible things and triumphs that happen in other countries. I chose Chile because I usually focus on Puerto Rico because that is apart of my heritage. Spanish is the language that bonds us all together as Latinos, so I knew I wanted to focus on something close to home but far enough to learn something. I asked a friend of mine who is from Peru if she knew any interesting topics that involved the United States as well as a Latino country, “The First 9/11” is what she suggested.  Once I started researching the topic I became very interested and looked all over for resources.

When I started the assignment I looked through the textbook my friend had from her history of Spanish class. I didn’t really find any useful information in that book. I then searched the term “the first 9/11” once I searched that into Google so many resources came up from the past as well as recent findings such as the United States involvement in the coup that was formed against Allende.
I am choosing to do a spoken word performance. I have been doing performance poetry for three years, I never did a character piece or historical. I hope that it will improve my writing style and performance. I am interested in what I come up with for the actual acting aspect of it.
The revolution in my topic was the government trying to develop itself from extreme opposites, which was socialism to democracy. The reaction can be from the perspective of the people who participated in the coup that Pinochet conducted or the reaction from people who were supporters of Allende. The reform was the people taking control on how they wanted their lives to be lead, they tried to rebuild their government and get Pinochet out of power because essentially he was a dictator.

CIA Acknowledges Ties to Pinochet’s Repression.” The National Security Archive. Chile Documentation Project, n.d. Web. <http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/news/20000919/index.html>.
In this article the source was given to the Public on September 20, 2000. The event chosen to use in this project happened in 1973. The Chile revolution had a lot of missing pieces; the government in the United States as well as the Chile government was very oblivious to the outside involvement. The United States congress demanded that the CIA tell the role that they played during the 1970’s era covert. The CIA developed a relationship with the Chile intelligence agency, which was known as one of the country’s worst humans rights abusers. The CIA also gave him a deposit of cash. Using this source with help with the understanding on why the people was so confused and wanted to over throw their government so badly. A lot of things were not told to the public of both the United States as well as Chile, America claims helping the way known abuser was a miscommunication.

Smitha, Frank E. "Chile, to the Overthrow of Allende in 1973." MacroHistory : World History. 2000. Web. 08 Jan. 2012. <http://www.fsmitha.com/h2/ch24y.htm>.
Throughout this article there was a lot of talk about money. The money came from the United States in order to influence the elections. In the beginning Chile had a democracy but then turned into a dictatorship. Chile was a small place the presidents each ran 6 years for their term. Chile wasn’t known for having any problems with having stability within its politics. In the 1950’s the cities began to increase in population and in size. The United States encouraged Chile to make changes within the government because the United States had an alliance for reform with them. Since the United States wanted to keep the democracy they gave money to the government, which knocked the communist elective out of the race the votes said he was winning by 100,000. Allende was that leader at the time, in Chile a person is not supposed to run for two elections and or terms he had told the public he was now standing for a republic and working class. This source gives an understanding on how the elections were run and what the people actually wanted. Also it gives a better understanding because it is a primary source so it is in terms that are easy to understand.

"On This Day September 11, 1973 « Formae Mentis NGO™." Formae Mentis NGO™. Formae Mentis NGO™, 2001. Web. 08 Jan. 2012. <http://formaementis.wordpress.com/2008/09/11/on-this-day-september-11-1973/>.

In this picture it is the presidential palace bombed by the Chile military. The reason for the bombing was to kill the leader because the CIA said that was the only option. I would use this as one of my blog post. I would be writing as one of the citizens that are confused but have a little bit more understanding as to why things are happening and the involvement many of the Chile and US people have. I would tell the story of the picture as if I was there at that moment watching those things happen. I would post questions like what happened to the general of 17 years during this attack on Allende. Because the general was against the plan to attack the general the CIA killed him. The way I would use the picture is a visual framework on the extreme actions the people of the coup took.

"Strange Defeat: The Chilean Revolution, 1973." Libcom.org. Ed. Mike Harman. Pointblank, 1973. Web. 08 Jan. 2012. <http://libcom.org/library/strange-defeat-chilean-revolution-1973-pointblank>.
I will use this source to help me have an idea on what my paper should look like and how I should deliver it since it was written during that time from the view point of a political official, I am going to try to take the role of a citizen and try to make it make sense so the reader would understand because in all of the articles I read from that time even now I still did not fully grasp what happened exactly. So I will rewrite that point of view being as accurate as possible.

Ackerman, Peter. "CHILE - DEFEAT OF A DICTATOR." A Force More Powerful. 2000. Web. 08 Jan. 2012. <http://www.aforcemorepowerful.org/films/afmp/stories/chile.php>.
I would use this picture of General Augusto Pinochet and give a description of who he is and the role he played in the defeat of the government. I think I would try to create a story to try and give a perspective of what he said and how the nation felt during this time. I think I will create a story using factual information but put myself in the mindset of a person who was affected by the general the most and the outside involvement of the CIA. This picture could be someones nightmare or dream come true I don’t know which role I would play yet,

Allende, Overthrowing. "Cold War Killer File: Augusto Pinochet « The Red Phoenix."The Red Phoenix. American Party of Labor. Web. 08 Jan. 2012. <http://theredphoenixapl.org/2010/09/11/cold-war-killer-file-augusto-pinochet/>.
This source is the third picture given on the site. The picture is a protest for Allende, The average person in Chile appreciated and agreed with his methods. The protest is going to be used as me taking the picture and explaining what is going on and why the people agree or disagree with the protest. Also if the protest sparked the invasion on the palace. The picture shows one of the actions taken to begin the over riding of the government. I am going to use this picture as a way to clarify what events occurred and how it effected the people. I am going to find similar pictures and analyze all of them and make a slide show to give the full story for the situation.

"Untitled Document." The Beacon School, NYC. 2008. Web. 08 Jan. 2012. <http://www.beaconschool.org/~lmoscow/chile/documents.html>
In the source it is a overview of what happened in the Chile revolution it is a middle school and or high school lesson for kids to understand. The source has many questions that would help me grasp what my audience would need to know while I am presenting or while looking at my blog. Also the source has a lot of pictures that I could not find on google images or any of my other sources I found a news

"Death of a Dictator: Victims of Augusto Pinochet's Reign Remember Brutal Regime From the Caravan of Death to Operation Condor." A Daily TV/radio News Program, Hosted by Amy Goodman and Juan Gonzalez, Airing on over 900 Stations, Pioneering the Largest Community Media Collaboration in the United States. Web. 11 Dec. 2006. <http://www.democracynow.org/2006/12/11/death_of_a_dictator_victims_of>.
I am going to use this site to show how many people the General killed during his rein in terror after him and his men overthrown the government. The article is specific on exactly what he did during his time in power also it tell us when exactly he died. He died when he was 91 and did a lot of bad things. He transformed the entire government and no one overthrown in. Also the source has quotes from Allende daughter and other family members and there reaction to the generals death. I think that by looking at those quotes I can get into their heads and comment on that for my blog. I can use it to show the effects of her fathers death to an advantage. I think that this source is very beneficial because I’m sure the way she felt about the general remains the same even after all of these years.

http://theredphoenixapl.org/2010/09/11/cold-war-killer-file-augusto-pinochet/
“Sometimes democracy must be bathed in blood.” – Augusto Pinochet
I am going to use this source and quote to show what his mind state was from the beginning. He wanted to show democracy in a bad way. I am going to use this as if I was watching tv and this is what was being said and my reaction to it and the peoples reaction. I think that if i was a supporter of Allende I would lose hope a little bit. This source also has pictures of the general and Allende when he gave his fair well speech. This source has a lot of primary sources.