Close Reading

As Laertes is preparing to return to school in Paris Polonius offers some wise counsel to his son. These words of advice that is offered are a very significant part of the play. The language of the speech and the way it is delivered has great impact on the perspective you receive when its read. Before I read the speech i looked over the things before it and predicted some of the things that could happen after it. This helped me with analyzing the deeper meaning behind the words and not just viewing it as plain text.

I had two different approaches when reading this particle piece. The first time i read it i played the role of Laertes with receiving the speech. The second time i read it i took the role of Polonius with delivering it. Each time i practiced this the words would have different meanings. Just like Shakespeare takes on different roles as the Shakespeare the poet and the dramatist. I took on two roles as the father and the son. As a father i was giving my son instruction on how to conduct himself in the world, to give a good representation of his name and the name of the family. As a son i was receiving these words and tucking them into my memory for future reference. 

There; my blessing with thee!” With genuity and authority this invitation and command is given. The father is allowing his son to go and venture out and take the blessing with him with in his journey. Everything that precedes from this point has much more meaning.Give thy thoughts no tongue, Nor any unproportioned thought his act.Be thou familiar, but by no means vulgar.” The language of the words encourages you to think beyond what you see. You would interpret to give no words to your thoughts but it means much more. Giving your thoughts no tongue, to think before you speak or perform an action. This is a life lesson that could be carried on. Choosing who you associate with too is important and is also emphasized by polonius. The advice that he gives his son is sincere and everything that he says he has the best intentions with.

As polonius continues with his speech he addresses common matters that will appear. I think he make these connections with his experiences that he probably had in his life. Some of the advice given looks familiar because it is heard often. “Beware Of entrance to a quarrel, but being in,Bear't that the opposed may beware of thee.Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice;” We have all been warned to avoid fights and disagreements but if we have to, make them to the best account. Listen more than we talk, and to observe more than we react. 

From this speech i got that your character is something that should be valued in all your endeavors no matter what you do. Value your name, your family, and consider the blessings of someone wiser who has more experience. Examine yourself and make sure all your intentions are good and beware of those who might be against you. Receive a blessing and live the best possible life, all of this relates completely to the advice Polonius gave his son before he embarked on his journey.

Final Hamlet slideshow