Comparing "Taming Of The Shrew" to “Pretty Women”

The play “Taming Of The Shrew” , it tells the reader about what love is all about back in the 1600’s. In the book there was a young lady name Katherine. She will be getting married to a guy name Petruchio. He want her for the money that she will give him. 

In the 1990 movie “Pretty Woman” Richard Gere as Edward Lewis needs an escort for some social events. He hires a beautiful prostitute, Julia Roberts as Vivian Ward, who he met on Hollywood Blvd. Petruchio and Julia Roberts’ character are different because their stories take place in different years. However, these situations are similar because they both agree to be somebody’s lover. For Petruchio, he is not a prostitute, but he got paid to get married to Katherine.

“And therefore, if thou know One rich enough to be Petruchio’s wife , As wealth is burden of my wooing dance, Be she as foul as was Florentius' love, As old as Sibyl and as curst and shrewd As Socrates' Xanthippe, or a worse, She moves me not, or not removes at least Affection’s edge in me, were she as rough As are the swelling Adriatic seas.” - Petruchio

(Act 1, Scene 2, 67)

In this quote,  Petruchio describes why he really came to Padua. He wanted a rich wife, and he didn’t care how they look or how old they were. This shows He doesn’t care about the women he’s going to marry. He’s only in it for the money. made the guy would get pay to get married to the lady of their choice. 

In the movie, there a scene with Edward on the phone with Philip talking about meeting up with a business associate. Edward is looking at Vivian in the tub as he on the phone. Vivian is also singing with headphone on.

“Housekeeping is singing” said Edward

“Edward, I know a lot of nice girls.” said Philip 

“No, you don't, besides, I already have one. You just concentrate on finding out what Morse is up to. I'm on my way. ”said Edward

(Hang up the phone)

“Don't you just love Prince ?” said Vivian  

“More than life itself.” said Edward

“Don't you knock ?” Said Vivian 

“Vivian, I have a business proposition for you.” said Edward

This Show Edward has a plane to us Vivian love for other things. Most people don’t hire an escort to be with them at a business. He only did this because he didn’t want to be alone when he went to the meeting. 

“When will he be here?” - Baptista

(Act 3, Scene 2, 38)

In this quote, after Petruchio got Katherine he knew that he could do anything now. He was late to his own wedding. In Petruchio mind he knew that he won the challenge. The challenge was to see if he could get married to Katherine. This show that the person that did something to go someone love changes after they get what they want.

In the movie, there a scene with Edward takes Vivian to a pole game. This is where Edward show off Vivian to people he knows. Now people are starting to ask question like where did  you meet Vivian.

“Don't be ridiculous.” said Edward 

“How do you know that this girl... hasn't attached herself to you because she's bringing information back to Morse ? This happens ! Industrial espionage” said Philip

“Phil, Phil, Phil !  Phil, listen to me.” said Edward

“What ?” said Philip

“She's not a spy. She is a hooker.” said Edward

“Oh ! She is a hooker.” Said Philip 

“I picked her up on Hollywood Boulevard.” Said Edward

This show that Edward didn't care what people will say when they found out that she was a hired a escort to show off to people. He knows that he have alot of money and he can pay her anything. This show that Edward and Petruchio and the same because they don't care what the person their with thinks. The will hurt their feeling. Most people can see this in the movie "Pretty Woman" and "Taming Of The Shrew" are the same when It come to the guys.

Works Cited :

Pretty Woman. Dir. Garry Marshall. By J.F. Lawton. Perf. Richard Gere and Julia Roberts. 1990. DVD.

Shakespeare, William, and Thomas Goddard Bergin. The Taming of the Shrew;. New Haven: Yale UP, 1954. Print.