Election Country- France

​By: Kate Pepple & Maria Hernandez

Timeline:

1. We were officially assigned to this project in February, 6th.
  2. By March 5th, we spoke with an exchange friend from France.
  3. On April 9th, we officially talk to her online to plan specifically what she would be doing.

4. Once she agree to do it on April 20th, we sent her the questions.

5. The elections were April 22th.

6. By May 5th we had all the answer from the voters in France.

Questions:
  1. What motivated you to come out and vote?
  2. What would you like to see changed in our political system?
  3. Do you vote in every election? (How regularly do you vote?)
  4. Are you always sure of who you are going to vote for when you walk into the booth or are you still deliberating?
  5. Where have you encountered the highest amount of ad campaigning? Radio, TV, print, internet, other.

Answers:
Nathalie Gabory, 42 years old
  1. It is a civic duty, we fought for the right to vote
  2. That we stop making promises that cannot be held
  3. Yes
  4. No
  5. On the radio

Emmanuel Kinger, 19
  1. Opportunity to express its opinion and hope to see a few changes
  2. I'd like the government to stop paying people who do nothing, do not work. And help those who do not need it.
  3. I’d like more competent people in government and less people who can only talk … And prevent capital flight of large enterprise, and bring back that are in tax havens.
  4. As soon as I get the chance (this is the first time I vote)
  5. Yes, I am sure
  6. Prints, radio, TV, everywhere actually

Zoé Gremillard, 19
  1. Because It is a civic duty to vote
  2. For now the political system right for me as it is, I just wish that all politicians aren’t "people-ized"  (like famous people)
  3. My first election
  4. I know who I will vote in the first round, the second round is going to ask me a little more thought I think.
  5. Election posters are very present, but upon all expectations, young people on facebook, have themselves publicity the candidate they preferred.

Roger Waeber, 56
  1. It’s a duty for the interest of French’s’ economy. To  keep our social rights, social protection that is one of the best in Europe, to keep good relationship the other country in Europe and in the world, and of course our freedom of expression and purchasing power
  2. I’d like more referendums for important decisions
  3. I vote for every elections and referendums
  4. I know who I’m going to vote for.
  5. On TV, with publicity and shows, papers…

Charlotte Waeber, 18
  1. It’s a duty to my country, and a chance we have (French) to express our opinion in order to maintain peace and economy in our country and in Europe.
  2. I would like more involvement of people in government decisions. That elected officials represent more the people than the French upper class. And that the government takes more economic decisions ( like more industries, more competitivity…) instead of social decisions
  3. It’s my first election
  4. I know who I’m voting for in the first round, but not in the second
  5. Mostly on TV and internet.

France & American Election Comparison:
France is similar to America in that they have a representative government, officials are either elected directly by the people or indirectly by officials already elected.  France elects presidents for 5 year terms, they also vote for officials in Parliament.  There are two chambers in Parliament, The National Assembly and The Senate.  French citizens also vote for members in local government and some non political candidates such as judges.  France does not have a strict two party system like that of America, yet they do have two parties that tend to be elected; on the left the Socialist Party and on the right the UMP.  Elections are always held on Sundays in France with the campaign ending the Friday before.  By 8pm on Sunday the results of the voting are starting to be published, before some of France's territories in the Western Hemisphere had even voted.  Because knowing the most likely results before they even vote, some elections in the America's are allowed to be held on the Saturday before. 

Reflection:
This project was an important lesson for everyone because we had the opportunity to interact with a young person like us, but from an other country; at the same time that we learn about their culture, and by comparing with our see how different the process is even when countries are in democracy (like the case of France and US), and just because is different doesn’t have to be bad. Also the exchange of ideas with people from other country makes us value their traditions and appraise more ours.