Gina Sorgentoni All about me!

I was never taught how to make an effect powerpoint presentation at my old school. I was told to simply bulletpoint the information you need to say, add a few pictures. Bam! I was done and when I would need to present my presentation I would read right of the slide. In this class I was taught that less is more. That blew my mind thinking about how cluttered all my past presentations were so I decided to take steps to fix that.

I chose the quote “What about second breakfast?” because I think I shows many things about me. It shows I like movies and books, it also shows that I like food. I also love what the Lord of the Rings are all about, throughout the movies you see such a strong friendship between all the members of the Fellowship. For my photo I chose the character who said this quote because I believe that by the end of Return of the King he had grown into one of the bravest characters. I feel that I could be represented by Pippin because he didn’t really take things seriously, and just went along on the journey just for laughs. But by the end of the trilogy he grows into a responsible and brave person. Something I aspire to be. I tried to make my slide simple and used simply as a visual reference. I tried to make my quote stand out by using a light color against a dark background. I also bled the picture of Pippin so things would look more natural and flow a little better. By doing this my presentation is less cluttered and my slide is now visually pleasing. I also attempted to use Rule of Thirds. I tried to keep the photo in one third and the quote in another third so that I would have an empty third between the two.

By creating this slide I took the first step to making future presentations more visual. I have learned that simplicity is key and that when in doubt make the font bigger. I believe that all of my future Powerpoint presentations will not only look alot nicer but make my talk better.

Reflection:

My old slide had a lot of negative space with small text and a low res picture. With my new slide I found a picture with a higher resolution and made the quote bigger. I tried to make the quote stand out from the background while still going with the color scheme. Throughout this process I have learned how to make a proper slide for a presentation. I have also learned about how to balance negative space and I can now navigate Keynote with ease. 

-Gina Sorgentoni
Slide3
Slide fixed 2

Bella Mezzaroba (Student 2016)
Bella Mezzaroba

I noticed that your second slide follows a more defined theme. I wonder what your slide would look like if you used a different picture of pippin. What if you bled of the page?