Human Trafficking- Modern Day Slavery #3 (The Change)

If you haven't already, be sure to check out my first and second blog posts before reading this one!​

So far in my research, I’ve noticed that there are many campaigns working hard to raise awareness about the issue of human trafficking. A lot of them are actively working to rescue trafficking victims on a daily basis. It’s incredibly wonderful that there are already so many people working hard to end human trafficking across the globe. However, the problem still remains that they can only help people, if other people know the issue and what’s going on.

This being our final post about our topics, it’s time to help make a difference. I think the first step to ending human trafficking is informing people on what it is, and how big of an issue it is. To do this, there are several steps to take. Two organizations that are actively working to end Human Trafficking have released documentaries on their work. I will be hosting a showing of these documentaries, and informing people on the issue of human trafficking. After showing the documentary, there will be a short panel of discussion about the topics shown in the film. This will take place shortly after the school year ends, and will include people from a variety of age groups, from all around the city.

I did an informal survey, which I mentioned briefly last week in my second post. Here is the data that I collected:

This graph shows that the majority of people between the ages of 14-18 do not know a lot about the topic of Human Trafficking. One person I interviewed, Meghan McClain, said this. "I'm so shocked that this is a world-wide issue. I always thought slavery was in the past."

The first step to change, is
AWARENESS.

​In order to raise awareness of the issue of Human Trafficking, I decided to make a flyer-type thing that essentially just states the main issue. I will be posting this picture on my facebook page, tumblr, and twitter account. It's really just to get the word out that human trafficking is an issue, and if people have any questions they can ask me about them. 

This brings me to the conclusion of my blog post series. Be sure to check out my bibliography here!

Leah Kelly (Student 2015)
Leah Kelly

This is a great piece of writing. I think that hosting a movie screening is really a great idea to raise awareness, I hope that I'm invited! I also really enjoyed the quote from Miss McClain, I think that it really brings the point across of how much of an issue this is. Lastly, I think that your brochure is really incredible.