I'm from Philly

Austin Baggaley

1-4-11

English

I’m From Philly

Every summer we go to the mountains to visit my aunt and uncle.

“Hey what’s up?” My friend greeted us.

“Nothin much is there anywhere to skate around here?” I replied.

“Yea there is a park with some ramps up the road”

“Oh word that’s what’s up”

So we started walking to the park.

“Yea I’m Joey what’s your name?”

“Austin”

“Are you from Philly?”

“Yea”

“Yea I could tell”

“Ahahah really how?”

“Just the way you talk.”

The way I would describe how I talk would be somewhat proper, slang and a Philly accent, I cant really describe what a Philly accent is you just would have to hear it to know.

This is not the only time this has happened. One time my mom and I went to Lancaster to get some things from the Goods Store and the clerk noticed our accents. Some people could be offended or upset but this, but not me this doesn’t make me upset, Because most of the time people are excited to see new faces and people from different places, they usually ask questions about Philly and stuff like that, you cant blame them because I’m sure we all do the same thing I know I do. A lot of my friends are from south Philly and I can tell the difference between how they speak and how I speak, like one word they use is mish. But mish was spread around Philly now a lot of people from all different parts of Philly say mish. Another word is snapping, that would be the proper way to spell and pronounce it but really its snappin, like for example we would say.

“yo chill out you snappin”

So in this context “snappin” would mean over reacting or over excited.

We all are different every single person in the world and so is the way we talk. Everyone talks different even though some people might sound similar to each other. “People evolve a language in order to describe and thus control their circumstances.” We use different words in different context; we give new meanings to words like “drawlin” and “snappin”. I have a Philly accent other people have New Jersey accents and other cultures have different accents like Italian, Polish, German, and Hispanic. Some accents may sound the same but they are different in one way or another. English is a language that about a quarter (20% - 25%­) of the world speaks the English language is rapidly changing every day new words and new meanings are popping up all over the place.

Your voice is a big part of which you are, it can do many things, things that you may have never even taken into consideration. Your voice can show a piece of your personality by speaking kind words if you’re a caring person, it can show what kind of mood your in by sounding aggressive if your mad or sounding soft when your sad. Your voice can also tell were your from by the way you speak words or say phrases and even the context you put words into. The way you speak is powerful it can tell many things.