In the Valley

"In the Valley" is about a young Sergeant named Johnathon Calloway. Sgt. Calloway has seen war before but nothing that can prepare him for the Korengal Valley in Afghanistan, one the deadliest places on earth (told by CNN). Sgt. Calloway changes from being an anxious soldier, to a gritty leader.

"In the Valley is also about a teenage Afghan boy named Mohammed. Mohammed struggles to stay neutral between the US and the Taliban. His friends join the Taliban and try to recruit him, yet Mohammed manege's to keep his points of view.

Characters
Sgt. Calloway- A well developed military soldier who has seen action in Iraq but not in Afghanistan.

Mohammed- a sixteen year old Afghan boy who is caught living in the Korengal valley.

Returning soldiers/Helicopter passengers- Returning to the Korengal valley for there second and third tours of duty.

Private Jackson- a new recruit who has never been in battle yet.

Macko- Hum-v Driver

Act 1 Scene 1

(Mohammed sits in a small tiled floor room with a large window to the left.)

Mohammed
To many of us are being taken. Promises of wealth and a magnificent after life. They took Deqhan today. Lured in by there false tellings. There numbers are growing, now it only may be a few thousand of the Taliban scattered through the hills, but there still unorganized and

(pauses as noise of helicopter flies over his house.)

They are unorganized and have no training. When was the last time a faction in history succeeded in overthrowing a country

(Pauses again to the sound of Humvees getting closer, Mohammad gets up and looks out side of the window a convoy of 5 hummers drives down the street, when the noise stops, mohammed still looking out the window sees five us troops kick down a door and raid a house, Mohammed backs from the window and continues writing.)

I have not been to school in over 4 months now, I am now almost to scared to leave the house, every time I’m approached sometime by Quadaff, sometimes by Gamal, but now by Deqhan. My only friend swept up by the Taliban. I warned him pushing him to stay with me, but he ran off with the largest group of goons on the earth. Who is next me, no, for to long have I watched

(Mohammed flips back a couple pages in his journal reading something, he then returns and begins writing again.)

Four and a half weeks ago I wrote that the Taliban teaching ten year olds in the school. Ten year olds being brain washed.

Act 1 Scene 2

(Sgt. Calloway is strapped in to a chair with 4 other men in the cargo bay of a chinook helicopter.)

So yall been here before?

(A blank stare came from the rest of the soldiers.)

Wer supposed to see some kick ass fighting up here. Can’t wait to see some action im pumped in Iraq I got me at least twenty kills, Dumb ass Taliban.

(Still nobody said anything, Awkward pause)

I heard this place is intense, surprised we have not been shoo-

(The helicopter dramatically pitches to the left)

What the f*** was that? An RPG?!?!?!?!?

(Two more dramatic movements, over the radio from the cockpit he hears airstrike commands, as the chinook pulls away from the cliff a massive bright explosion rips through the mountain.)

Yea thats what im talkin about kicken some ass

(The red light on the back of the Chinook lights the soldiers get ready, Calloway peers out the window)

Thats it what the hell is that its a bunch of sand bags?

(The crew turn to Calloway and stare at him)

What do you mean how dare I say that? The previous soldiers have been here for a year and this is what they've built”

(The back latch of the helicopter opens
Gun fire begins to ricochet on the out side of the Chinook)

Act 1 Scene 3
(Sergeant  Calloway speaks in to a camera in a video diary in the Bunker, the noise of Artillery is being launched is in the background.)

First impressions, not what I hoped. Seeing 7 dead and 5 wounded carried to the Chinook. Looking at this piece of shit its not much. Just a couple dozen sand bags, a small building and a couple huts. Training.....What training, Nothing can prepare you for this. First day 1 wounded, saw Sergeant  Ellsworth shot right in front of me. But what is this.... war.......no. I don’t know what this is. No amount of strength can prepare you for what I saw. I’ve been kneeling behind a sand bag for the past 15 hours. Shooting at what I can’t see.....but they can see me. I’ve been here not even for a day and i’m pissen my self. In the briefing commanders said we would be alone, stranded, no support.......we are the support defending the valley for what purpose, its a fucking desert. They watch us. The Taliban, stubborn as they are hate us, defending there land which we are invading, A land which is worthless to what we are fighting for. We should just leave. There is no reason we are here.
(The sound of gunfire and mortars erupt, Sgt. Calloway gets his gun and leaves the building.)

Act 1 Scene 4

Mohammed
Made it through another night. Ever since the Americans started to push down the hill the fighting has seemed to get tougher. Every day we are constantly being attacked. But I see the point, our village is full of Taliban, Dozens of them, if I did not live here with my family and friend, I would wish that that village gets flattened, well it basically already is.

(Mohammed glances out of the window)

I cower under my bed on an hourly basis, its the only place where I feel safe, kind of stupid huh, I am neutral in this war. Last night Deqhan came by with a bag, He shoved me aside and hid it in our closet, he told me not to look, and if I told anybody about it I would become the Taliban’s enemy. I had to see what was in the bag, but I’m to afraid, I can’t look,
(Mohammed throws down his pencil, and rubs his fists in his eyes as if he is crying. Mohammed gets up and walks over to the closet and picks up the bag, it was heavy and Mohammed struggled to lift it back to his table, he peered inside)

Weapons, its full of weapons, Im hiding the Taliban’s war machine. I am on of them.

Act 1 Scene 5

Have not done this in a while, No time. Constantly we are all doing work, either building, digging or shootin, no time for anything else. The only thing that changed was the wounded, 7, 3 dead. 3 dead!
(Rubs his eyes and face)

All stronger then me. Who’s to say I’m not next. Strength means shit out here. No amount of explosives or guns can stop these people, these, these animals. The Korengal Valley, the gates of death. Only Misery and pain is visible for miles around us, Tomorrow's we draw straws. Who goes down the hill for recon. I did not turn out so good for the last group, so I heard. Two died the driver wounded, they had to he evaced, with a heli, they said if we get picked we have to drive down the hill side and look for suspicious activity, Suspicious activity my ass, every body looks the same, I can’t tell who is the enemy and and who is neutral until its to late. But they want that, they like to be sneaky bastards. Hope I come back to make another one of these. Slams lid of computer closed.

Act 1 Scene 6

Sgt. Calloway
Of course I would get picked to do this.
(slams the door of the hum-v)

90% chance we get an IED shoved up our ass.I am so done with this shit. We are dead. WOW WOW Stop! play this CD it sets the mood.

(Gimme shelter by the rolling stones begins to play.)

So briefing said we should drive as far as we can, what does that mean. Well I know what it means, just does that mean we are guaranteed to get attacked, Shit!

(The hum-v drive for about an ten minuets through the valley when the driver stops.)

Why did u stop?
Bad feeling, psh I don’t give a shit, we are sitting ducks out here. Get a move on it Macko.

(The Hum-v drives slowly, gradually picking sup speed.)

Faster dude I don’t want to get Ambushed.

(A small IED explodes 30 yards in front of the hum-v damaging the vehicle.)

Ambush! Take Cover!

(They exit the vehicle)

Fire at will, Fire at will!  Everybody just sit put we will get out of this. Jackson keep your head down! Jackson!

(Jackson is shot in the helmet the bullet penetrates his head killing him, Calloway talks on his radio)
 Man down we have a man down requesting immediate EVAC we have man down.

(Gets off of radio)
 Command says for an evac we need to secure the area. I have an idea
(Gets back on the radio)

Command, recon 1 we request an immediate air-strike. Ok latitude 34.5550 east
longitude 71.0519 north, Elevation 2997.  Danger close. Repeat danger close.

(Puts down radio)
Every body heads down incoming.
(The sound of a jet breaking the sound barrier flies over head screeching as a sonic boom rips through the air, a 2000 pound explosive hits a bunker position.)

Damn!!!!!!! That’s how we do it. Whats Jackson’s condition, Dead,good soldier should have kept his head down.

(picks ups radio)

Area secure, what is the ETA on that heli......Rodger that.

(Puts radio down)

We are out of here in ten.

Act 1 Scene 7

Sgt. Calloway
It's my fault, all my fault. Yesterdays recon down the hill went terrible. It was the same shit that all of the other recons deal with. The guilt is just to much. Being in command when a soldier dies, just can't take it.

(Takes off hat and places it in lap dramatically)

I see these new kids commen in every week. There not ready for this shit. Private Johnson was not ready that's why he died. These new recruits there just to vulnerable. The don't watch there backs good enough. The don't no what to expect out here. There not trained enough It all my fault Johnson died I should have never have to him to come with us.

(Calloway stands up from the seat and leans on the wall with his hands and head)

Not to say that I just wasted 50 thousand dollars worth of explosives on the guys that killed him. God damn. This war is just a waste of money I mean 50 thousand dollars on a handful of guys. Johnson was 21, so young. And just to think  I have to do this shit again in three days.

Act 1 Scene 8

Mohammed
The Americans keep pushing down through the valley. They know there are Taliban in my town and they will not leave until they are all dead. Over the past week more and more troops flood the city. Every day, two or three times a day.

(Sighs)

This is never going to end. Every time group of hum-v’s come down the hill the end up retreating. The Taliban have an endless supply of troops and weapons. Yet so do the americans, they come down the valley at random times and raid the Taliban’s shacks. Three days ago I was walking to get milk. When I heard a hum-v. I tried to run but they were raiding the house next door. I was caught in the cross fire as I tried to hide. There was sol..sol...soldier

(Begins to whimper)

right next to me, shooting. I was caught in combat. I looked up to the americans, and to see him get shot,

(Begins to cry)

Shot in the throat, and to struggle on the ground, The medic cam over but there was no hope. There is no hope. I can just remember name on his bloody uniform.

(Tries to pronounce the name)

Sa sar sergeant ca ca ca Calloway Sgt. Calloway.
The poor soldier who was shot in the neck, on the 11th of january 2011, for we should all respect him.

This is Act 1 Scene 3 presented by David Palidora