Jessica Hinton Marking Period One

During the first marking period, the main idea is all about recycling. During quarter 1, we made posters to hang around the school, asking the students to save their bottle caps, and bring them to the art room so that we could use them in our art. Those bottle caps collected also went to Aurora Robinson, and she used them to create her art that is being displayed at an art gallery here in Philadelphia. 

Bottle Cap Poster
Screen shot 2010-11-04 at 8.02.13 PM

Artist Statement:

For quarter 2, the assignment was to create any piece of art, using recycled materials. My decision was to make art using something that I could use and help eliminate from landfills, and make something that people would be able to relate to. 

The decisions I make about my work, are usually made by examining how I feel about what I am doing. If I feel good about a sketch, then I feel that I am making progress. I decided that using bottles would be a good material to use, because it's another way for recycling plastic. That was the only recycled material I used. I felt that because that was a pretty large bottle, that it would go and sit in a landfill somewhere just like the other plastics. 

After making a list about things that I could do, I decided to go with making butterflies using 2 liter bottles. I felt that butterflies are animals that people like to see when the spring comes around, and something that you might not wonder about how they're affected by pollution. You get to see butterflies of all different shapes, sizes and colors. I think by doing this project, I've realized how so many things can be affected by pollution, and how those things may be some things that you just won't realize how much it meant until it's gone. 

Sketches
HPIM1622

HPIM1623

Cut Out of Sketches

HPIM1619

Plastic Cut Outs

HPIM1627

HPIM1628

HPIM1628
HPIM1628