Journey to America by Michael Roth

How many of you have moved homes, or even towns? All of you have at least changed schools. Now imagine not just leaving behind your school, but everything you know. Journeying far in search of opportunities, and into a new and unfamiliar land, where everything is different.
The Journey to America
Reflection:

When doing this project, I learned a lot about my great grandfather, more than I thought there was to know, when it came to this story. I also learned a bit about myself. I learned that I should really plan ahead when I'm doing a large project, to make sure that I'm not up late the night before it's due tediously and expertly editing together around six tracks of pre-recorded information. I learned that when my mother says "this sort of thing always takes longer than you think it will," she is right. I also learned that when she is right, she doesn't stop telling me about just how right she is. I learned that my grandmother knows a lot about her father, and is ready to tell me about him if ever I ask. I have also learned that certain situations may push somebody far enough that they do things that they originally didn't think they could do. People aren't always what they seem to be. If you saw a picture of my great grandfather at the age of 90, you would certainly not think that he had accomplished so much at such a young age. Next time I see an elderly person, I'll wonder what surprising story they have in their past. Maybe they stowed away on a ship, maybe they escaped a tiger in the woods. There's really no way of knowing without asking. The whole story makes me wonder what I would do if I was forced into a similar situation. What would I be capable of?

Daniel Tuveson (Student 2014)
Daniel Tuveson

Really cool story. All the stuff was on topic and really interesting. The ending was cool to where you're like "I hoped you liked hearing the story as much as I liked discovering it."

Sean Force (Student 2014)
Sean Force

I really liked the interview with your grandmother it was nice and clear and not boring. I also really liked the way you fixed the difficulty with understanding your great-grandfather by having you mom do a voice over for it. I liked how you summed it all up at the end of the interview.