Science Leadership Academy Learn · Create · Lead

Kristi's English Portfolio

Kristi Bezhani

ENGLISH PORTFOLIO

Reflection

This is the very last project in out English class where my peers and I had to make a portfolio of all the main writing pieces assigned to us throughout the school year. It’s meant to be a collection for us so we can see our progress and weaknesses. Although a lot of hard work was put into all writing pieces, I am only human and therefore not all of my writing will be flawless. For example, some mistakes that I made consistently were with my grammar and sometimes I struggled making my paragraphs flow as far as organization goes about.

Regardless of the fact that I love all of the writing work I have produced in this class, two that I especially love and look proudly back on are my Macbeth analysis, and my Comparison essay of Odysseus and a character of our choice.

Some reasons why I liked these two writing assignments the best, was because I revised these two pieces of work over and over aiming to make my writers tone and critical and strong.

Looking back at all of my work I feel happy seeing my progression of vocabulary, and structure. Although I still have some flaws such as grammar I am very proud of all my final products because I can see my effort in all of my work, and it looks beautiful to me.

In this analytical paper my class and I were assigned to incorporate a character from "Macbeth" of our choice, and use those quotes in our essay. To be specific, we had to take out 10 quotes that we favored from "Macbeth", and write a individual  paragraph for each quote to use as evidence for support on our statements.

Analysis on Lady Macbeth                       

Starting off with quite an absolute and insistent individuality, Lady Macbeth presented herself voracious in the beginning of “Macbeth”, however she gradually grew weaker with guilt from previous actions that drowned her in a puddle of regret causing her to die. The change in her character stunned me as I read closer and closer into the end of the play. One factor that influenced this doomed outcome in her life was Macbeth’s behavior in the end. As she started to observe Macbeth going insane during the feast, she herself couldn’t keep it all as well together anymore, and started to go insane too.

Her unhappiness which lead to her sickened mentality later on in the story, began at Act 3, scene 4, page 4, line 56-60 quoting: “Sit, worthy friends. My lord is often thus and hath been from his youth. Pray you, keep seat. The fit is momentary; upon a thought He will again be well. If much you note him, you shall offend him and extend his passion. Feed and regard him not. (To the lords at the dinner table)” In this line I could tell that Lady Macbeth was concerned and displeased with Macbeth’s behavior. Although she does not say this directly in “Macbeth, the manner in which she said this line seemed as if she was bluffing to the men at her dinner table. In other words, she was trying not to show her audience the baffled concerned feelings towards Macbeth, for that reason, she acted as if Macbeth’s crazy incident was no big deal of significance and nothing of a surprise. All of the emotions at the dinner table were kept within her, and when emotions are bottled up for a long time the ending will not be gratifying. From here on out she became more and more depressed by the awfulness that she caused within herself. This was the part in the play where Shakespeare made it clear to the audience that the change in Lady Macbeth’s character was tragically worsening.

As mentioned before, Lady Macbeth was literally growing ill with insanity. However an example to show this is in Act 6,scene 1, page 86, this quote shows how Lady Macbeth is filled with guilt, and explodes her thoughts and emotions when she gets the opportunity: through sleepwalking. She says: “Out damned spot! Out I say!” Referring to the figurative blood that “stained” her hands, in this quote it is showing how she is becoming so paranoid about her crime that she is really trying to erase her sin, by “washing it off of herself”. The way, in which she phrases this, is: wash the blood from my hands. In other words lady Macbeth feels like she is scarred with her past’s action of killing King Duncan; she can’t rid it from her memory even though she desperately wants to according to this quote.

I was very baffled with her as this happened in the middle/end of the book, because despite everything that got in her way, she was never taken off guard so easily. She had begun by showing the audience firmly that she had a fierce grasp of desire and determination. This enabled her to achieve her goal. She led the audience to believe that she was in control of everything including Macbeth. An example this is in Act 1, scene 5, page1, line 3-10 “Yet do I fear thy nature; It is too full o' th' milk of human kindness To catch the nearest way: thou wouldst be great, Art not without ambition, but without The illness should attend it. What thou wouldst highly, that wouldst thou holily; wouldst not play false, and yet wouldst wrongly win.”  In these lines she shows herself to be controlling and bossy, yet she then disappointingly looses this firm grasp making it quite loose.

Although Lady Macbeth got into this lame depression, it was truly disappointing to read about her, changing from such a confident character to a sorry one. Nonetheless, I loved analyzing Lady Macbeth throughout the entire book, because she showed the audience an impressive, strong feminine personality, even if it only was in the beginning of the play. For instance in Act 1, scene 5, page 3, line 56-58 “Look like the innocent one but be the serpent under It” This shows how clever lady Macbeth is to influence her strong character all from one quote.  The way she manipulated people and actions based off of this quote showed that she was competent until her pessimistic emotions got into her way of things and caused her to die. But comparing her character “growth” from the beginning to the end was engaging as much as it was saddening.

In the beginning, she showed the audience firmly that she had a fierce grasp of desire and determination enabling her to achieve her goal. It was very wondrous and surprising for me to analyze exactly how far she would go to achieve her goal.  Little did she know how her decisions affected her gradually, striking her to the ends of all she had ever dreamed of. For example in Act 1, Scene 5, page 2, she said “The raven himself is hoarse that croaks the fatal entrance of Duncan Under my battlements.” It kind of shocked me to read exactly how far she would go to complete her wishes. I think killing is too unacceptable to encounter as an action when doing it to simply please the heart and become royal. I new that Lady Macbeth was a confident woman but what I didn’t know until then was that she could be very cruel. Reading that her desire was so strong to influence her cruelty, was entertaining and intriguing, especially when I got to the end because cruel was way more interesting to me than weak.

Like stated before, for a time period Lady Macbeth was in control of everything, but it was not enough, because she was doomed in deep affliction while trying to erase painful and regretful memories. She was unsuccessful at this. The terrible memories simply scarred her. She was so siked out, she tried even tried calming herself. For example in Act 5, scene 1, page 3, lines 45-47 she’s sleep walking once again but she tries to forget that all of it ever happened. She says: “To bed, to bed! There’s a knocking at the gate. Come, come, come, come, give me your hand. What’s done cannot be undone. To bed, to bed, to bed!”. Wishing she could forget about it all, she yells at herself and tries to go to sleep, tries to forget about it, but she knows deep down that it wouldn’t matter how much she tries, nothing would work, therefore she says what she says in this quote very desperately.

She should have never used her guilt to weaken her self. On the contrary she should have used it to empower herself in a productive manner. What I mean by “empowering productively” is that her guilt should have been a motivation towards fixing her mistakes. I was looking forward for her to have learned from her mistakes, and used this “empowerment” as a motivation to do more good instead of cruel, because she was so clever but this thought sadly never occurred to her.

What I had foreshadowed compared to what really happened was quite ironic. I say this because in Act 5, scene 1, page 3, lines 50-52 when Lady Macbeth says: “I still have the smell of blood on my hand. All the perfumes of Arabia couldn’t make my little hand smell better. Oh, oh, oh!” Here she showed her guilt and she also showed a little sympathy for herself as she said “my poor little hands” referring to her hands as little and sad. When reading between these lines, she is saying; awe my poor little hands are part of this as the rest of my body is! My point is she was showing that she didn’t want anything to do with the crime she had done, but what I foreshadowed was ironic because I thought that what was going to happen was that Lady Macbeth would increase her confidence and desires, becoming crueler doing everything in her power to reach the satisfaction of her desires. But she did nothing of the sort, in fact she backed away totally feeling trapped, unable to move.

The greed that lady Macbeth portrayed throughout “Macbeth” is a huge reason that lead her to her grave quite tragically.  For example in Act 1, scene 7, page 2 Lady Macbeth said: “Was the hope drunk where in you dressed yourself? Hath it slept since?

And wakes it now, to look so green and pale at what it did so freely? From this time such I account thy love. Art thou afeard to be the same in thine own act and valor as thou art in desire? Wouldst thou have that Which thou esteem’s the ornament of life, And live a coward in thine own esteem, Letting I dare not wait upon I would, Like the poor cat i' th' adage?” This shows that Lady Macbeth is upset about Macbeth being shaky on whether he should follow her directions. Lady Macbeth becomes very outraged and let out all her anger on Macbeth because she feels like she can, since she is so “spoiled” by Macbeths high tolerance.

The manner in which Lady Macbeth wants things, makes her spoiled and immature because when she wants something, she won’t give up till she get’s it just like a spoiled little child. Since the very beginning in Act 1 when she said “Come, you spirits That tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here” she showed her huge desire for winning the throne, glory and victory by directly wanting to have the rights of a man.

Lady Macbeth lets her fierce personality get impacted, by bringing unhappiness upon her self. This jumbles with her sanity and life. She begins with a hungry desire, wanting to win the royal throne, increasing her expectations for many things hence leading her to greed, which finally leads her to negative outcomes, that then leads to her being unhappy till eventually she becomes mentally ill. Consequently in the end, all of this, results as a big tragic death for her. It was saddening to read about a character with such high stamina, mess up and then mess up even more, when she could have fixed or learned after her mistakes instead of taking things by heart and being a pessimist. In essence Lady Macbeth started off the story as this Voracious character but changes to one fraught with deep affliction.

This is a vignette that was assigned to my class and I,  for the purpose of writing something we choose. Our lovely teacher wanted this to be about something special to us, she wanted it to be memorable. And at the time I thought it was the most special thing in the world to be written about. It may not come across as one of my best writing pieces of mine however, because this was in the very beginning of the year.

He truly was a magnificent star, shooting form the sky, straight upon my school, and upon my heart.

“OMG HAVE U SEEN THE NEW 7th GRADE HOTTIE!” Amanda screeched with excitement.

“Kid with the brownish curly hair, in a mushroom-shaped style?” I asked bluntly, with impish intentions. I could care less about the new kid. The only thing took my interest was Amanda’s reaction towards my apparent disinterest in this boy. Judging from her reaction, my attitude was too plain for her.

“DUHH that’s who I mean. That’s all you say to describe him though? GEEZ Kristi seriously you’re like the only girl who probably doesn’t think he’s hot!” Amanda was paddling on, screeching with disagreement.

“You’re probably right about that” I assured her, knowing that she was going to say something along the lines of what she’d been ranting on about. But in my head I was trying to assure myself of my real, own feelings towards this boy. After what happened today, my thoughts and first impressions of him were jumbled.

Confusion is what my middle name became from that moment when I had an experience with this boy. I felt like we interacted from a distance. Anyhow, in this experience, my feelings towards this kid were frustratingly perplexed and when we locked eyes, it made me wonder why he was looking at me so observantly. According to the look on his face, he made his acknowledgment of me seem as if he had just seen a mermaid walk on ground, basically what I am trying to say is that he gave me a look unlike others.

Never will it escape my memory, the way in which my heart raced as he gazed upon me that day. My heart felt as if it was a bunch of old sheets that needed to be un-dusted badly with broom poles pounding at my heart causing it to thump so frequently. Every day from then on, it was those darn broom poles pounding at my heart, like annoying blizzards that are about to come when there is absolute peace. These feelings were a real disturbance intruding upon my life.

Have you ever heard of the phrase that states something along the lines of: “be careful what you wish for, because you might just regret it later”?

I never knew what the miller’s daughter in “Rumplestiltskin” felt like after wishing for the golden thread. This wish almost had her son taken away from her in the end. The regret I felt, similar to the miller’s daughter, was immense.

My regret built up more and more every time my memory returned to that moment of eye contact. It was me who wished for all of the trouble that was brought to me. It was me who asked God to bring a boy to my school, and into my heart; I wanted to feel “in love” like so many of my other friends back then. My recognition, however, was that praying and dreaming both were not able to satisfy my curiosity for what “love” would feel like. Instead of feeling satisfied after my curiosity was fulfilled, my regret built on more and more for, ever wishing such an insane thing.

I started to fall for him like the rest of the girls in my class from that moment on, but denied it to the point where I found it ridiculous to continue pretending to feel something I wasn’t feeling. I ended up denying myself, and lying to my friends. It became harder and harder.  I hated feeling as though I was swooped from the floor, and that this would alter every plan in my life. I felt disturbed in my independence of living. I felt like I had to guard my looks, behavior, and actions at all times when he was around. I began to feel less and less like the free turtledove I always felt like.

This guy disabled me to talk, walk, breathe, and think freely. My body didn’t want to give in to the world or myself what I felt. At first, I was so insecure and unsure about what I was feeling that I totally ignored my feelings and did what my head told me, and that was to focus on my life, work, friends, and family only. I left no room for the affections I could have had towards boys.

The next day it was pie day to my surprise. This sounds plain, but to my family however it’s a much bigger deal than some words on a page stating that it’s pie day and that I am surprised about it. Not that it’s super duper important to me, but like I said my family takes great value in this day, and my mom always bakes her traditional blueberry pies which every one loves, so in a way it makes me have to value this day too, because in my culture I am obligated to respect the food my elders make for me.

Anyway, as my family and I start to settle down for dinner, with pies all ready, I could barley stay awake from the lack of sleep I had gotten the night before. I could not get my mind to think about anything other than the boy last night. As a result, I desired sleep. Thoughts that reflect this desire are not very appealing if you’ve ever lacked sleep. What does lack of sleep do? I’ll tell you what it did to me. Basically, my head dropped into a blueberry pie, on pie day, caused by the lack of sleep from last night. I really had fallen unconscious on my mother’s blueberry pie! Face on a blueberry pie! Worse than this, I was known for sleeping on this blueberry pie. Logically my face became blue from sleeping on this pie.

“BLUE FACE!” all the little children surrounding the dinner table called me this disturbing name. Great. Not only has this boy caused a bunch of trouble into my life, now he scarred me with an unfortunate fame. All over my middle school, little first, second and third graders who heard of my recklessness, recognized me as “blue face”.

What had caused me to fall asleep on my mother’s well-baked pie? The boy. I really wish that these embarrassing and unappealing events had not happened in the very first place. It’s almost like the boy is my personal Déjà vu with unpleasant intentions every day.

He came up so much into my life, and as the years passed my feelings only increased for him. However month after month I was a heavy, locked treasure chest, about my secret of being bananas for this boy. Moreover, I kept it locked from everyone, but my sister. I was chicken to show anyone my consuming attraction especially to the boy himself, but my sister she was a whole different person in my life. She played a very special role in my life. My soul sister, and way more that cannot all be expressed in words, is what she is to me. I can talk to her about anything.

Unfortunately she was the only person I could act my true self around. Towards other people, I presented myself with a bulwark disguising me from my real feelings for the boy. The feelings that I felt inside were simply acted out as the opposite on the outside. Instead of feeling like I cared I behaved as though I didn’t care, instead of liking him I pretended like he was just a non-appealing boy to me. Instead of behaving like this boy was a shooting star, I acted as though I was the shooting star. I was acting out everything that was the opposite of what defines me. I became a good actress, but also a key, that was falling and getting lost in the deepest darkest waters. What good is behaving out something false when it causes me to get lost inside?

In the end fortunately, my sister found the key, and the feelings I felt for this boy, increased to more than just attraction, they were becoming feelings based on looking into the soul not only the shell. Even though my feelings increased, however, it did not make my life easier. But at least it certainly made things more reasonable to like the cake for all of its’ insides not just the particular detailed icing decorations on the outside. 

This was an assignment where my class and I were required to compare Odysseus with another character from our choice. Furthermore we were also required to use quotes form both stories. I chose to compare Odysseus to Edmund from Narnia: The lion, the witch and the wardrobe. I could really relate one anthers characters, and as a result I bring up many strong critical points when I compare and contrast the two.

Comparison of the Odyssey and Narnia: The lion, the witch and the wardrobe (The movie)

Despite the fact that both Edmund and Odysseus act egotistically, only one of them has an excuse for acting immaturely. Both Edmund and Odysseus want to be worshiped for what they think are “worthy actions” to be valued. However, this kind of expectation is not fit for “The man of twists and turns”. This behavior is more acceptable from Edmund, considering that he is relatively young being twelve years old, and therefore, having more time on his plate to mature. As mentioned before, Edmund has a long road ahead of him to learn from his mistakes, but Odysseus on the other hand, should be at a stable level of rationality in his life.  At any rate, in the end, both characters are easily swayed, reckless, and prideful.

Both Odysseus in The Odyssey and Edmund in The Chronicles of Narnia, The lion, the witch, and the wardrobe were bribed to agree to something that put their family and friends in potential danger. When Edmund and his siblings where playing hide and go seek, Edmund followed Lucy to her hiding spot, and that’s how he met the ice queen. The ice queen was negatively interested in Edmund and his siblings. Edmund, naively, told this stranger about his family in return for some candy, which the queen was using to sway this information out of him. Similarly, as Odysseus arrived at Circe’s island, Circe bribed Odysseus into staying. Little did Odysseus know that this stay was longer than expected. “Royal son of Laertes, Odysseus, man of action, no more tears now, clam these tides of sorrow. Well I know what pains you bore on the swarming sea, what punishment you endure from hostile men on land. But now, eat your food and drink your wine till the same courage fills your chests, now as then, when you first set sail from native land, from rocky Ithica! ” (Book ten, page 244, lines 502-507).  After Circe said this to Odysseus, he narrated: “And there we sat at ease, day in, day out, till a year had run its course” (book ten, page 245, lines 513-516). It turned out “drinking some wine and eating some food” meant relaxing on the island for a whole year.  Moreover, Odysseus’s words are evidence that he didn’t once think about how his decision would affect his wife, son, or even his parents. The fact that Odysseus would take a one-year vacation for himself, just like Edmund trusted a stranger, giving out family information in exchange for candy, is proof of how easily they fall for bribes.  Both characters neglected to stop and think before they acted; this caused them to be swayed easily. In a nutshell, when both characters fell into the traps of their “enemies”, they were acting selfishly and immaturely. Also they both gave in to luxury and comfort; For Edmund it was the Turkish delight/power from the ice queen, and for Odysseus it was the sex and power form the gods.

Edmund was irresponsible with his family and the people of Narnia just as Odysseus was irresponsible with his family, and crew. Society’s expectation for an adult is that they take responsibility and most of the time never let go of that steady control. Odysseus and Edmund have not shown that they are responsible human being’s in the beginnings of their stories. For example in Book twelve, page 279, lines 279-281 Odysseus says: “Of all the pitiful things I had to witness, suffering, searching out the pathways of the sea, this wrenched my heart the most ”, these words exhibit how Odysseus was irresponsible and reckless, by not telling his crew the voyage-plan journeying to the Seylla. He risked everyone’s lives with his irrationality and by the end, lost six of his men all because he didn’t follow Circe’s directions. Edmund was in a similar situation. He did not inform his siblings on the Ice queen (thinking she was good) while they were in Narnia making friends. This risked everyone’s lives just as it did when Odysseus chose to keep his plan hidden from his crew. Along with this, Odysseus, unlike Edmund, was more aware of his mistake, making Odysseus figuratively younger based on maturity.

Furthermore, both characters show how their pride plays an important role in their lives. Although there was much positive growth in Edmunds character throughout “The Chronicles of Narnia, The lion, the witch, and the wardrobe”, in “The Odyssey” There wasn’t quite as much of a distinct modest growth in Odysseus’s character. This is because, like I said before, Odysseus is the “younger person” throughout “The Odyssey”. Both characters however, started out with a demanding character wanting some kind of attention from others, whether it was for the purpose of fame or plain fondness and worship. Too blinded by their pride in the purposes of doings, both characters jumped straight towards, glory or craves for self-satisfaction hidden behind intentions of their actions. For instance when Edmund saw with his own eyes that Narnia did exist, and how therefore Lucy was not telling a lie about it existing, Edmund never admitted it to his siblings when asked about it, for the reason that his image would be affected in a way where he would be perceived as immature like Lucy was. Edmund’s pride for his image resulted in making Lucy cry. As for Odysseus, he ignorantly said to the Cycolopse: “ Cycolops if any man on the face of the earth should ask you who blinded you, shamed you so-say Odysseus, raider of cities, he gouged your eye.” Book nine, page 227, lines 558-561. This quote clearly shows how he wants fame and glory. Having said that, the pride of Odysseus, disabled him to think ahead about the effect his choices would have on his family. For both characters, their pride resulted in creating unfortunate ending. For Odysseus it meant six deaths, for Edmund it meant Lucy’s tears.  Point of the matter is, that both characters prove it clear how their pride is a precious treasure to them and that if they lose it, it would be great loss.

In light of this, when directed from a young adult such as Edmund, immaturity is of no huge surprise to an audience; even so, directed from Odysseus a full-grown adult, it is unexpected and low. Odysseus being an adult was supposed to act like an adult; all the same he was too stubborn to realize that he was being selfish and immature. In the mean time, Edmund grew out of his ignorance and immaturity, as Odysseus’s childishness remained constant. Ironically towards the end Edmund became the wise person, who realized his selfish mistakes. This being said, it is Sardonic when one thinks about how Edmund would have been the person that Athena would favor the most. Key of the matter is, that throughout the book, till the end, Odysseus remained immature while Edmund outgrew his callowness.

This essay was assigned to my class and I, after we finished "Macbeth". It is a peace of writing where we had to be creative. As I did my outline on this project I planned to make a photo essay with interpretations on the bottoms of each photo. The photos would not upload therefore as I am interpreting the photo's connection with quotes that I chose from "Macbeth", I ask you to picture the each photo as you are reading each of the descriptions and interpretations. I was still getting the hang of understanding Shakespeare's writing and therefore this essay will not sound perfectly clear.

Explanation of photo essay

The very first instance that Shakespeare introduced Lady Macbeth to the audience, he gave off a clear vibe that this woman was going to be a confident and shrewd person. As I began to read about her personality, I connected her character with some one else that came to mind. His name is Satin. This character shared so many similarities with Lady Macbeth. Both vain and prideful, these characters let one another's sinfulness lead to their doom. From angels they turned into Fallen angels.

Satin became a fallen angel because of the sins he committed, and so was Lady Macbeth for that matter. The only difference here is that Lady Macbeth punished herself, opposed to Satin who was punished by god. Also satin came form the Bible where as Lady Macbeth came form "Macbeth". Leaping from the bright side to the dark, atrocious side is what was happening in both of their lives. Lady Macbeth and Satin put it upon themselves to leap onto the dark side. Both had sharp perspicacious knowledge that they took advantage of manipulatively. The choices people make influence them to become the persons that they truly are within, and when they took advantage of their knowledge in a controlling manner, it caused harm upon them. They couldn’t mange modesty and became greedy to win what they craved for. They couldn’t manage sticking with being clever and as a result they turned out becoming immature.

As much as the greed of Lady Macbeth is the same for Satin, I could not help connecting it to Rumpelstilskin even more. Rumpelstilskin, like Satin and Lady Macbeth, had this huge greediness and just like all other characters mentioned here, it led all to an unfortunate ending. However, unlike Satin, Rumpelstilskin’s greed relates to Lady Macbeth's even more because both end up dying, where as Satin lives in hell forever.

Subsequently Hitler was another person I connected Lady Macbeth to. He was a historically ill person, who made faulty decisions and this is what made him the person he was.  His decisions revolved around power. This brought him grate unhappiness. Lady Macbeth was in the exact same situation. She benefited royalty from her terrible, merciless choices nevertheless it did bring her to a state of sadness, guilt and depression such as it did for Hitler. Regardless of how much Lady Macbeth wanted to, she couldn’t quite fit the two puzzle pieces together. She couldn’t attach happiness and power together as two fitting puzzle pieces. Therefore she had to choose one, and she chose power. The outcome emotions that came from this struggle of choosing power over happiness polluted her mind and left a huge mess that only increased till it created a catastrophe. This catastrophe brought Lady Macbeth great guilt and regret till it brought her to the end slowly and painfully. In other words Lady Macbeth was depressed meaning she chose royalty and she was only growing her depression along with Hitler.

Moreover, The life that lady Macbeth was leading, filled with depression, also reminded me of Elvis Presly. This famous singer grew depressed after his wife left him and he tried to end his pain by taking drugs and alcohol, where as lady Macbeth had nothing and no one to talk to. Her depression led her to doing nothing like drinking or drugs but it lead her to drown in her tears. Tears only made time melt and go slower reminding her of bad memories, and in fact scarring her with bad memories as well. For example in the play as she was sleepwalking and talking about washing out the blood that was accordingly in her hands, it showed that her sins permanently and figuratively marked her, and pretty horridly too.  She was trapped in her memories of guilt and regret such as a prisoner at fault would be trapped in jail left to think of their guilt. This is where Lady Macbeth grew weak and couldn’t stand the pain of being trapped in her terrible memories. She simply had to escape; therefore she committed suicide ending her life tragically. Fraught with grimness and grief, her face on her dead body said it all. Her face showed that she ended life mournfully.

Quotes Connecting to Photos

“Look like the innocent one but be the serpent under It” Act 1, scene 5, page 3 lines 56-58

This quote applies to pictures one (Adam and Eve) it also applies to picture eight (Rumpelstilskin). The reason why I made this connection, is because the characters in these photos both exemplified how they acted innocent but eventually showed how they where the serpent under this innocence.

“My lord is often thus and hath been from his youth. Pray you, keep seat. The fit is momentary; upon a thought He will again be well. If much you note him, you shall offend him and extend his passion. Feed and regard him not. (Lady Macbeth to MACBETH)”

Act 3, scene 4, page 4, line 56-60

This quote applies to many of the photos but the one I feel it applies to most was the one with Elvis Presley. I say this because lady Macbeth was sort of in Elvis Presley’s wife’s shoes. In other words Elvis’s wife watched Elvis go insane because of the drugs and alcohol that he took, just as Lady Macbeth had to go through and watch her husband go through a similar situation of insanity.

“Out damned spot! Out I say!” Act 6,scene 1, page 86

This quote mainly refers to the picture with the scarred hands. Because this picture portrays Lady Macbeths despair. She feels as thought the blood scared her hands for life with bruises (shown in the photo) always reminding her that the blood on her hands is not innocent. In other words the bruises marked her and every time she looks back at them she feels regret.

“Yet do I fear thy nature; It is too full o' th' milk of human kindness To catch the nearest way: thou wouldst be great, Art not without ambition, but without The illness should attend it. What thou wouldst highly, that wouldst thou holily; wouldst not play false, and yet wouldst wrongly win.” Act 1, scene 5, page1, line 3-10

For this quote there was quite many pictures connecting with it. However the one picture that really resonated a deep connection with this quote was the picture with rose thorns. I chose this photo because that picture symbolizes fierceness, and in this quote Lady Macbeth was acting like her fierce, feisty self towards Macbeth.

To bed, to bed! There’s a knocking at the gate. Come, come, come, come, give me your hand. What’s done cannot be undone. To bed, to bed, to bed!”. Act 5, scene 1, page 3, lines 45-47

In this quote it has gotten to the point where lady Macbeth shows her obvious insanity. This quote I thought related to various pictures. Two pictures that very much related to this quote were: one, the picture with the “crying eye” symbolizing depression, and two, the picture with the pollution. Why this quote related to these two pictures the most, is because when lady Macbeth is saying this, she is greatly afflicted and depressed in the way where it pollutes her mind with negative emotions which make her weak.

I still have the smell of blood on my hand. All the perfumes of Arabia couldn’t make my little hand smell better. Oh, oh, oh!” Act 5, scene 1, page 3, lines 50-52

This quote also refers to the picture with the scarred hands because it shows how lady Macbeth feels when she is scarred with the smell of the blood.

“The raven himself is hoarse that croaks the fatal entrance of Duncan Under my battlements.” Act 1, Scene 5, page 2

This quote applies to the picture with Hitler because she, just like Hitler would go very far to get what they want.

“Come, you spirits that tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here” beginning in Act 1

This quote refers to the very first picture. In this picture Saitin would become a fallen angel just to satisfy his curiosity, as Lady Macbeth would unsex herself just to satisfy her desire.

“Was the hope drunk where in you dressed yourself? Hath it slept since? And wakes it now, to look so green and pale at what it did so freely? From this time such I account thy love. Art thou afeard to be the same in thine own act and valor as thou art in desire? Wouldst thou have that Which thou esteem’s the ornament of life, And live a coward in thine own esteem, Letting I dare not wait upon I would, Like the poor cat i' th' adage?” Act 1, scene 7, page 2

This quote applies to the picture with the fallen angel because when one first becomes a fallen angel they are upset about it, just like Lady Macbeth is upset with Macbeth in this quote.

At the beginning of the year my teacher would give my class and I free journal time in class, where she put a question on the board relating to a book we are reading or something happening in our economy. After she wrote the question, we would answer the question based on our perspectives. For this portfolio we had to choose four of our favorites. Enjoy!

Four Journal Entries

Why do we write?

For people with terrible memories, writing exists in their life so they can record the things they want to remember on paper. For people who need some one to talk to when there is no one there, writing exists for moral support. Some people are forced to write, others do it out of joy. I think it really depends on the person and their point of view. Every one is different with different perspectives. Therefore if I were to justify the answer to this question fully, I would need everyone’s perspectives.  However since I do not have that option right now, the answer to this journal entry, on my behalf, would be; we write to shape that something beautiful we are thinking of, through the many different letters that can be formed on paper. 

If you really knew me… you would know…

If you really knew me you would know that growing up to this point I lack some information young adults my age don’t lack. I tend to take many things literally but this disables me to look at things knowingly the way others do. My cluelessness for some things feels almost like a curse sometimes. I can never seem to place my finger on things that others can. It’s not that I am not able to read between the lines. No, I can even look at a painting and manage to analyze the true meaning. It’s not even one of those things where you are just amongst people who are all the same and therefore know the same things, because in this case basically all people of different varieties with different perspectives know these things that I don’t. They are all different and yet on the same page. It made me feel as if I stood out in a rather dumb way while everyone else stood out in a “normal” way. Now however, even though this “curse” still remains it doesn’t make me feel dumb anymore because my school environment at SLA is very friendly.

How important is it for you to fit in?

Fitting in and being “normal” is not important to me now as much as it used to be. Now I don’t think about fitting in because I feel like I do. I am accepted and loved in my school, at home, and pretty much everywhere else for that matter.  However, if I weren’t already accepted from everyone that accepts me today, I would feel that it would be very important to me. I would feel the need to be accepted and as a result it would become a longing importance of mine. Being unwanted and uncared form are emotions no one wants to feel. Everyone wants to be accepted and loved somehow. Additionally everyone is different, for that reason everyone should be accepted for his or her uniqueness instead of being neglected and looked upon as strangely different.

If you were told a secret that was told to no one else but you, could you keep it?

Depending on how funny it is I would tell people who I think would find it funny too. One of my favorite parts in life is laughter especially when it is contagious because then it’s like spices on a delightful dessert. Therefore, if this secret were to be goofy I think I could not keep it in me for long. When I have the option of sharing that joy of hysterical laughter with others, it excites me a great deal and is difficult to resist not spilling it. I cannot have a bunch of excitement in me and not burst it out to someone. However if the secret were anything but laughable then I could certainly keep it to myself.