Lobby Against Fracking (#3)

Hydraulic fracturing is being opposed by 78 percent of elected officials who have had a say in what companies are going to drill in our waters. Although this is the case, these companies are still drilling. How could this be the case? That is what Iris Marie Bloom, director of Protecting Our Waters has asked numerous times. Unlike many politicians, Bloom has a clear following and is pushing forward every possible obstacle at the drilling companies to get them out of Philadelphia's waterways. Iris Marie Bloom has held steady protests throughout the city since July of 2010 to get her point across, averaging a turnout of nearly six thousand people each protest.
    At each of her protests, Bloom brings together nearly sixty five organizations that have their targets set on removing drills from waters around Pennsylvania and other states. While the protesters realize that these companies have contracts within the city and would lose large amount of money by withdrawing from their projects, they still refuse to acknowledge any environmental or health risks. In the case of hydraulic fracturing, the cons vastly outweigh the pros and no matter the cost of the drilling companies, the drilling must be stopped soon enough.
    While big name protestors like Iris Bloom and Tracy Carluccio have important roles in removing drilling companies like Marcellus Shale and others, the real influencers of these drilling companies are the citizens that come out to these protests and have felt the affects of fracking.

Click Here to send a delightful postcard to Governor Tom Corbett.

Many students, including in this class are focused on putting a stop to tracking within Pennsylvania's boundaries. Ali Ahmed and Rashaun Williams are just two of the students who are taking a stance on the fight against fracking. Together, we would red to influence Governor Tom Corbett and even the White House to fight for our cause to get something done about the pollution in our waters. So far, millions of petitions have been sent to Barack Obama's federal representative demanding a "No" vote against fracking.
    We are already out of time, as tracking has been polluting our waters for nearly fifty years now, and while it has more recently inhabited Philadelphia it has plunged the city's drinking water from the fifth on the leader board to dead last in terms of cleanliness. In the past three years the water in Philly has been utterly destroyed by chemicals. Meanwhile, we're all drinking it.

If you still don't understand hydraulic fracturing, this great song should help you out.
PowerShift 2011 by David Turnbull
PowerShift 2011 by David Turnbull