Lola Akinsola Immigration Amnesty Blog Post 3

It seems as though in the year 2011, the immigration amnesty bill has lost some of its importance. The outlook for immigration legislation during the 2011-2012 debate seems to be getting worse as time goes on.. However, in July 2010, it was announced that 81% of citizens voted in support of the bill. As for the votes of the elected officials, it seems as though it is split down the middle. The bill has been voted on countless times and nothing has really moved us forward. There is a policy for immigration amnesty however it has not changed since 2007. It covers what is expected of undocumented workers currently in the US, border security, employment verification, the guest worker program, permanent residence through the Point System, and other things.

There is only one non-profit immigration outreach center that is available for people who support immigration amnesty to have on their side to try and get the bill passed. The most important people in this issue are the congressmen and women. They are the ones going back and forth about the situation and the President is just sitting there waiting to sign the bill because he’s already down for it. In order to help try and pass this bill on to the President I would have to convince most of the congress that this isn’t a bad idea.

Congress2

The other people who are working on this are all of the pro-immigration organizations. I think I could work with them. I would just have to make sure I know exactly what I’m talking about, which I do. I could also influence other people with family overseas who would love to come over to the US. They know what it’s like to have their family rejected for no reason just as much as I do. The more support we get, the more likely congress is to give in.

This has been going on for years, the first amnesty day was in 1986 and I’m hoping it isn’t the last. It’s been 25 years and we still can’t get it together. The only key date I could find was March 12th, 2011 when Utah passed their amnesty bill.