Macbeth Creative Portion

This creative project was inspired by the quote, “My hands are of the same color, but I shame to wear a heart so white” (Act 2 Scene 2, lines 76-77) Lady Macbeth tells Macbeth this after the two of them kill King Duncan. What she means buy this is that she has no problem getting her hands dirty from the blood of others if it means she will gain power. This also means that she is glad she does not have a pure white heart like her husband. This sculpture also represents the evolution of Lady Macbeth’s character. At first she is similar to the bloody hand. She is willing to do anything to get what she wants. She then starts to regret what she has done. At this point she wishes that she had a pure white heart, instead of bloody hands.

The sculpture is made out of two things, air dry clay, and this material I found the recipe for called “paper mache clay”. I started by sculpting the hand and the heart and then waited for them to dry. After the heart dried I painted it white with acrylic paint and glued the quote to it. At this point the hand was not fully dry, but it was dry enough to paint, so I painted it with oil paint. It turned out that using oil paint was a mistake because it did not dry fast enough and was still wet when I brought it into school. My main issue was with my materials not drying as fast as I thought they would. If I were to do this again i would either use materials that dry dafter, or allowed myself more time, so that they could dry properly.

I learned a lot from my colleagues about how they interpreted Macbeth similarly to me, and differently from me. In this project, I am most proud of the hand that I made, because I think it looks very realistic. The hand is the right size for a parson, and the colors (especially of the blood) seem just right. From doing this creative project, I realized how much I enjoy making things with my hands. I knew that I like giving my hands something to do, but this allowed me to take that, and make something with it.

Photo on 4-9-13 at 10.54 AM #2
Photo on 4-9-13 at 10.54 AM #2