​Michael Hall - Annotated Bibliography

Wilkerson, Isabel. The warmth of other suns: The epic story of America's great migration. Random House, 2010.
This book centered around the migration of black from the south to the north during the 1915-1970. The author Isabel Wilkerson does great with the usage of personal accounts for migration during that time period. The book doesn't just explain the reasons why blacks would want to move but allows them to tell their story. For example in the first story it tells about how a women had to say goodbye to her daughter and grandchildren. In the second story it tell us about a man who leaves his small southern town because he broke some rules. Because these stories are different, they add variety to the book. This usage of first person also works well with the book purpose, which is to get the reader to understand the different reason why blacks moved and their motives behind leaving.

2)http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/4134096?uid=3739864&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21101801165487 Johnson, Karl E. "Police-Black Community Relations in Postwar Philadelphia: Race and Criminalization in Urban Social Spaces, 1945-1960." The Journal of African American History (2004): 118-134.
As it was stated in the article this incident happens directly in Philadelphia. This view on the violence doesn't just show how race plays a part in violences but also that  the area the violence takes place is a factor. It says “the Elmwood and Paschall neighborhoods had long been a racial battleground”. This was said from the leader of churches that agree that the violence is started because of racial differences.  The article isn't really backed up with facts but really an eye witness account for what happened during that time. This information is useful for getting the just of what it was like in a Philadelphia neighborhood during 1945-1960. Not stating that every area was like this but if racial differences were present then violence was mostly the result. Also mentioning the police force and stating that it was white police enforcement also added to how race played a part in almost every situation like this.

3)
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/20090975?uid=3739864&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21101801165487 Franklin, Vincent P. "The Philadelphia race riot of 1918." The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography 99.3 (1975): 336-350.
This article was interesting because of not just focusing on Philadelphia, it describes the country as a whole during the World War. It states that “ It is a common phenomenon for domestic hostilities and conflicts to subside and a united front to be created”. This means that even though America has its problem, when something that endangers us all we will come together but to the articles statics, the war didn't do much to stop the violence against the blacks. The lynchs did decrease but after about two years they increased. This article then slowly focuses back to the country and its specific cities that show the most race related crimes. In all this article is useful for getting to know the countries viewpoint on the crimes but what happened during that time.

4)http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=E7fbQj3blEAC&oi=fnd&pg=PA1&dq=philadelphia+race&ots=LYgwa-J8KE&sig=6cdTXYEsuUMR36f7R_U0HM25rpQ#v=onepage&q=philadelphia%20race&f=false Du Bois, William Edward Burghardt, and Isabel Eaton. The Philadelphia negro: A social study. No. 14. Published for the University, 1899.

This book was published by W.E.B Du Bois and was composed while he was in Philadelphia. After reading the first few sections of the book I soon realized what the book was trying to accomplish. In the book he explains to the reader the certain problem the average black person face living in Philadelphia. For example in the book it says “ Here is a large group of people that don't form an integral part of the social society”. He also says “the physical environment of the city” explaining how the houses and sections affect just how the black mind is influenced. This book is great for understanding the mind set of black people from a perspective that focuses on them only.

5) http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=T3V-40R8oaMC&oi=fnd&pg=PA1&dq=violence+in+philadelphia+neighborhoods&ots=E-Op_5YOYt&sig=IJifaduZT8SjkAyKNjtuqim42FU#v=onepage&q=violence%20in%20philadelphia%20neighborhoods&f=false Lane, Roger. Roots of violence in Black Philadelphia, 1860-1900. Harvard University Press, 1989.

Centering around the violence of Philadelphia's black people was an interesting topic to write a whole book about. As I read it I sensed a bit of bias toward the blacks but as I continued to read and soon realized there wasn't but just stating how brutal some of the violence committed were. Even mentioning other sources like W.E.B Du bois’s “The Philadelphia Negro” made the source even more reliable because that showed that the author actually did research before just writing this book.

6) Douglas, Sinnea. Telephone Interview. 14 02 2013.
This interview was taken place over the phone with a current college student named Sinnea Douglas. The interview was about violence in the city of Philadelphia and how the violence she has seen relates to race. Sinnea has lived in Philadelphia her whole life and had seen many acts of violence. She has  describes one experience she has seen in philadelphia and described her feeling towards the event. She says she seen people get jump because of race and has seen it done near where she lived.