Mohamed Marzouk, Capstone 2013

In-school mentor: Mennoo Rami
Out of school mentor: Connie Hua

For my capstone, I initially struggled to find an idea I'd like and can enjoy doing for an entire year. I wanted something I was passionate about, and I knew that debate was something that I've been passionate about about for a long time. So, I reached out and contacted members of Penn For Youth Debate, an organization that promotes debate in inter-city Philadelphia and holds debate tournaments, debate events, and sends volunteers to other schools. I started volunteering with Middle School kids at Russel Byers Middle School, on 19th and Arch. Partnering up with my outside of school mentor, Connie Hua, we volunteered on alternate days and enhanced the debate skills of the students by coaching them using a lot of different avenues of coaching. Coaching such as: speaking drills, reading drills, flowing skills, cross fire skills, and etc. I've been volunteering since October and Russel Byers has excelled the most this season, winning many, many awards. 

Attached are photos of Russel Byers school and winning awards at PFYD Voice's Tournament at the University of Pennsylvania on March 16, 2013. Also, there is a link to the google doc that contains my lesson plans and my annotated bibliography.

https://docs.google.com/a/scienceleadership.org/document/d/1zfxkZxNGzT3317LRckXVg5QPIJ6du7S0oPllItV9BwU/edit

photo
photo
8072364519_136e4c87f2
8072364519_136e4c87f2