More Like Drop In, Than Drop Out (YATW)

2010 GED Graduation - 11 participants

Hello my name is Marcus Cruz and seeing and growing up in a world of such young, uneducated people who have achieved no goal neither have plans to complete any others. I have decided to shine some light on the idea of preventing dropping out of school. I think this is sad thought, and a waste of precious potential. In 2008 there was 80 percent of students graduated. That 20 percent didn’t, what happened to them? This shouldn’t be ignored.We right now as young adults have to know what is out there if we take the wrong path and choose to drop out, well at least know the consequences. Thousands of people all across the United States drop out. This is sad for being one of the most powerful countries in the world, here is something to think about. If the youth are next in line to lead this country, who will be leading it if so many student are dropping out?

I talked to someone that has dropped out around tenth grade. (He asked for his name not to be stated) He told me living life now with a tenth grade education isn’t getting him anywhere. He said“...I’m stuck man, these kids don’t even understand what they have in school with all that technology and s***t, you know. I can only imagine how easy right now I’d be if I had just stayed in school...” This man isn’t just the only one, there are many others who could tell you the same thing.
Resources say that students who drop out usually become criminals. An article from the Las Vegas Sun, The report states that high school dropouts are 3 1/2 times more likely than high school graduates to be arrested and eight times as likely to be in jail or prison.” As student you should imagine yourself down this path, being locked up, is this what you want for yourself? Being put as a standard, and just a statistic, even at that I’d rather be that among the 80% that graduated then the 20% that did not.
However, together starting with one could turn into a hundred and hopefully even more than that, to make a change in peoples lives that will not only help them now, but help them prosper in the future. I have planned to go to different programs, such as NorthStar, El Centro Del Estudiantes, big brother and sister foundations, counseling to help prevent our youth from ruining their lives.
Not only will I be helping out to prevent students from dropping out I also help other who have dropped obtain their GED, even helping them go back to High School. Maybe, as we know some are not ready to take the step and head back to school. I will be going to different programs and speak to these people to possibly change their lives.
Everyone wants that moment where they have achieved their goal, finishing school, having everyone be proud of them. This would be amazing.
imagesClick this link for myAnnotated Bib.

Click here for my blog post 2.

5665731482_0c42714758
5665731482_0c42714758