Natikwa Goodwin Quarter 1 Benchmark

Pancakes Ingredients

1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons sugar

1 large egg

1 cup of milk

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Instructions:

First you gather all your ingredients and proper utensils

Using a large bowl you first place the flour in it, following with the baking powder, salt, sugar, eggs, milk, and butter.

You then mix all the ingredients for about 10 minutes or until all the ingredients are mixed well.

Then you must place a large frying pan on the stove with the burner at about medium-high heat. 

Then pour a spoon full of grease into the pan.

Pour the mix into the pan making circular motions.

Let the pancakes cook until the edges begin to turn light brown.

Flip the pancakes

Let the other side cook all the way through.

Their done :)

The pancakes I made are 100% processed. All the ingredients included in my recipe are not homemade. They all come from across the country and are grown differently individually before they make it to my kitchen. In each serving the recipe creates about 4 nice sized pancakes. After being prepared there are roughly about 250 calories in these pancakes. There is also about 2g of fat after the pancakes are prepared. The ingredients in the pancakes are not harmful to the body, and aren't hard to process. Wheat is a cereal grain that is grown throughout the entire world. Baking powder is also listen in my ingredients also known as by the chemical formula NaHCO3. Common table salt is used in the ingredients, which is known as NaCl. After buying all the ingredients to this meal the costs comes out to be no more than $20. This meal ends up being much more than it would cost to purchase pancakes from a fast food restaurant such as McDonalds or Burgerking. McDonalds pancakes have about 400 calories, which is almost double the amount as the ones that I made. The people that made the most off of my meal would be the market, and the different farms that the products migrated from. The milk that is used in my ingredients came from a cow. That cow most likely lives on a farm, and grew up on different estrogen and hormone medicines. If I was to care for my own cow the milk would be much safer to drink. It would have much less ingredients I’ve never heard of, and won’t be as harmful. Just like cows, chickens also grow up o farms taking different steroids to make them much larger and to get more out of one. Eggs that come from chickens are greatly effected by the different hormones that are given to the chickens during their lifespan. If I was to grow my own chicken, the eggs produced would be much less harmful being as though it doesn’t have as many artificial hormones added.

Personal Reflection

I have come to learn a lot during the 1st quarter of my science and society class. During this quarter we learned value information that can help our every day lives. In this class we discussed way to better ourselves, and our bodies. We learned different ways of how to stay healthy and how to stay fit. During the 1st quarter of this class we learned about food, nutrition, and healthy eating.

It is always important to know and understand what you are putting in your body. Everything is not always good for you. From this class we studied different types of common foods that we all eat on a daily basis. We took these different foods learned how they are prepared before they get to our plates. We watched a movie that went through the entire process of chicken is prepared before it gets to our plates. This movie puts what you eat into a different perspective.

From this class I now question a lot of more of what I eat. I learned that everything is always good for you, even some things cooked at home. I've learned the true differences between organic and regular foods. We went over the pro's and con's of organic food, and does it actually make a difference. Prices of foods can also vary depending on what types of food you are buying, we went over how healthier eating also means much more expensive.

I learned a lot in this class during this quarter, from watching chickens brutally get slaughtered for the welfare of human beings, to learning about the Western Diet which includes everything I love to eat. This class taught a lot.

Screen shot 2011-10-27 at 1.27.31 PM
Screen shot 2011-10-27 at 1.27.31 PM