Negative Space-Lauren Hummel

Photo 1
Photo 1
Reflection
1. Negative space in the space around an object that is made up of various shapes and sizes. For example if you have a vase and you want to have a negative space drawing, you would place the vase and get a perspective you are happy with and then, shade the space around it. In the end you would have shading that outlines what looks like a vase.
2. I found negative space in my cutout by putting the template over a piece of construction and cutting out the black pieces and considering them the negative space that would eventually create the illusion of a house.
I found the negative space in my still life by blocking out all of the objects that are real. That allowed me to see only the spaces that needed to be darkened. At least that is what I tried to do, but it didn't work out as well as I had hoped.
3. It helps an artist to see negative space because it allows them the get different perspective and when you are an artist a good perspective can be the difference between a piece of art and a piece of not as nice art. It also teaches artists to draw abstract shapes which can be very helpful throughout their career.
4. Seeing in negative space does enhance drawing sometimes.It makes some pieces more abstract and therefore more appealing to a greater variation of people. At the same time, it can also make images more confusing, making it harder to understand the drawing.

Photo 4-1
Photo 4-1
Photo 2
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 3