Paper Towns-John Green

My Opinion on Paper Towns (John Green)
-August Polite

Not many books, or any pieces of art for that matter, will change your opinion (unless that was the intended purpose).
Paper Towns carelessly delves into a memorable teenage adventure that knows where and when to take itself seriously. I enjoy the story’s evolution as well as the evolution of the characters. The main character “Q” progresses from a scared child to a young adult sinking into a cold depression while in search of the mysterious girl he doesn’t quite understand. This girl (Margo) is the focus of the novel, and her actions reel the reader in as much they reel in her fellow characters. She decides to fall out of line and do something drastic and shake up her entire life.

What makes this book special is its dedication to its point. I never found myself questioning the author and at some moments I completely forgot that there even was a person in control of these children’s lives all along. The ideas the book brings up are very poignant and thoughtful topics, from both parts of story. On one side there is the confused boy, he is enthralled and excited by Margo’s sudden disappearance but is soon flooded by a whole other slew of emotions, when he questions her motives and begins to lose sight of his goal. Without spoiling too much of the story, Margo’s deep thoughts of life provide a moving adventure timed with near precision and timing to keep a brilliant and engaging pace.

I greatly enjoyed this book for its deep undertones and quirky exterior, no other book has kept itself in my mind even while I had finished the last page. It questions our system, how we will eventually just follow our designated paths even if we become successful won’t we always be in the shadow of something else. Margo’s logic is what really drives this book, her craving to rebel almost makes me want to rebel as well. The book makes you want to do something different with your life.