Pipeline Monologue Project

This project is about exploring different points of view. This is centered on the XL/ tar sands pipeline. This is a controversial topic. And there are many opinions and many was to see what the right thing is. My goal for this project was to see if I could write as different people and still convey what I was thinking. I was hard to not write description. But it was more about the characters then what they looked like. Please enjoy the flowing monologues and video.

My Point

Walks in. sits down and faces the crowd

“Hello ladies and gentleman. I am Adam Riss.

Looks over the crowd with only his eyes, does not move head.

Wow this a lot of people here today. Your eyes look like little lights. Flickering off and on as you blink. There are so many of you. But enough about you; to day I will be taking about the XL pipeline as so know as the Tar sands pipeline. The pipeline will be going from Alberta, Canada down to Texas. It will bring 500,000 barrels of crude oil a day to the U.S. This is a gift from our friends in Canada and we are going to cash in on it. It will open up thousands of jobs for Americans. This is a once and a lifetime opportunity. We have to take this oil.

Clinches first.

Just think if we could get out from under other countries. We could stop fighting a war for oil. I could bring my brother home after three years.

Begins to get up the sits back down

Ahem. Sorry for the break in my points. I know for a fact that if we don’t support this some one else will take this oil. We need to stick together and give President Obama the motivation to pass this bill. Yes we can build. I know that there are some points I may have missed. I would hate to take up anymore of your time. So I will take a few questions. Questions? Well, yes the pipeline will be running through the largest source of fresh water in the continent of North American. But I am telling you that there is a very low chance that it will leak or break. So we should not be concerned about that. Well, yes, there was another pipeline that did leak a few times…Twelve times? I can see what you are saying. But this pipe is going to be much stronger. I am sorry but we are out of time. I am Adam Riss and thank you.”

Gets up and wakes away.

The Talk

Chou picks up phone. She is at home when her aunt calls her.

“Hey aunt Sara. What is going on, are you going to come pick me up?

Looks at the phone

Where are you? At the North Run airport. What are you going somewhere? Texas.

Raises voice.

Your going to Texas. Why? Uncle Nick is going to work there. He is going to work in Texas. Why, he had a job here. He is going to work for an oil company. You mean the ones that are working with the Trans Canada people. That is going to destroy that world’s ecosystem even more then it all ready is. Do you know where they’re planning to put the pipe?

Gets up and starts to pace.

It’s going to be over the largest patch freshwater in the continent. Do you know what it means if it leaks? It means that we is have to start paying for water form other places. Water a basic human need. I would take that over oil. Why would you support this? I don’t care if it’s a good job opportunity. Do you care that if he dose this that there will not be a world to have jobs on. I this is not ok at all. What about the people in Canada? The Native Americans that live in Canada. There land will be taken way if you support this. He can find another job.” 

The rug seems to be getting a burn. She is moving so fast that her feet are red.

“I don’t understand. You don’t understand. For someone how was born and raised in a country that is so developed your thinking really isn’t. Everything that you are saying is point less by.”

No Voice

A piece of then XL pipelines that is lying on the floor, speaking softly.

I’m there thinking of the words that I just heard. I have been here for so long. Just waiting. Waiting for something, or maybe someone. They where moving us. A lot at first but now we are still. I remember the dark room where we where the first time. I was damp we where moving fast. Then I felt the heat all over me. Then to the rocking car what brought use here. The words keep coming; Tar…Sand…Oil. Why do I keep hearing them together? They sound like gravel in a person’s mouth. As if they where trying to make sense of it. But what do they have to do with each other. Tar is hot it burns. Like that room I was in. Sand is at the beach. Cool and soft. And oil powers cars, and everything else in the U.S. They don’t mix.

Moves to another area of the floor.

There hands wrap around my body, now I know what they’re talking about. As they place me in a line. I’m what is moving the tar, sand and oil. I don’t think that is safe. My thin aluminum frame will break. I here more words coming form the workers. New words that I haven’t hared before. Water…pipeline…over…Why would you put water over me. What if the sand gets into it, or the tar? What would happen to the fish? What would happen to the people? This can’t end well. Another worker. Why are they turning me over? A break…a break where… then don’t use me if there is a break. But they can’t hear me. I can’t talk. Then I am placed back in line. I wish I could save the water, the fish, and the people. But I don’t have a voice.