Pipeline Monologue Project

Opening Paragraph: For my monologues I focused on being against the Keystone XL pipeline. It reflects my views on it from people around the U.S. and one from the middle east. For my first monologue I made a future situation of the pipeline breaking in Nebraska to a drastic level. He was moved to Manhattan and talks from the back staircase of his apartment building. (Hence why the video is in the back staircase.) For monologue number 2 I had a middle eastern man describing how he is disappointed with the U.S. Government being greedy with the oil and not sticking with the promise of helping the whole world. He believes with sharing and industrialization of his towns that they will thrive. For the final person I had a normal man who is about to get a job with the Keystone XL building. After much thought he slowly shows a change of heart.

Monologues:

History POV

Block, Iron

September 24th, 2011

The Nebraskan View

(Sitting on Fire Escape of Apartment, slight vocal tension) I just cannot believe this has happened, and that I was there to witness it. It’s been two years but it feels just like yesterday, it was bad enough they had to close down the hills and move all of the people and animals, but I still can’t believe they forced me to move, and why in the world did I comply? Maybe this will teach them not to cut corners and betray Mother Nature like that again though now that we have half a state evacuated just because they were to lazy and cheap to think of an alternate way. If it wasn’t for them I could still be my happy old Nebraskan born citizen as I was. But no, I am now forced to live over hear in New York with a bunch of my other Nebraskan citizens. I hate it hear! It smells, everybody is so rude, the streets are so cramped and I barely have time to talk to anybody. I miss my warm Nebraskan home; I miss my old neighborhood with all of the ones I love. I miss this smell and the fresh air and the familiar landscape. Too bad wishing won’t do me any good. I might as well keep trying to make the best out of what’s here, even though it isn’t all that much. It has been two years since the Keystone XL Spill, and America has taken a turn for the worse. I am a former Nebraskan citizen, and I want my Country back.

TWO

The World Needs A Hero

(Pacing Back and Forth rapidly, annoyance notable.)Why is America so screwed up? They say they want to help the world but what about us? I am a typical Middle Eastern citizen and has America forgotten about all of their help the world “promises” They aren’t even listening to their people over there. So many people over there don’t want it. The government says it’s completely safe and nothing will happen but they know they’re just lying so they don’t have to stop what they’re doing. The people don’t even seem to want the oil; they want something new for their world. They have the right idea. Too bad we don’t have as many choices over here. We would love to have the options that they have, hell we would love to have some oil. But no, America has to be greedy and take the oil straight from Canada with a largely oversized pipe that will wreck the land and destroy the few natural beauties found within the once marvelous Country known as the U.S.A. It would be a real shame to see this go through and the moment when the pipe breaks. The terror will be immeasurable.

THREE

A Job on the Pipe

(While watching T.V. on the couch) Well, tomorrow’s the big day! I finally start my job of building the Keystone XL pipeline. I wonder what it’s going to be like? Nobody ever told me about what working there will be like, all I know is having some money, a job and getting all the cheap oil is going to be a godsend for my wife and I. we can sell some of the oil too! That is guaranteed to help get us out of debt. I can’t wait for this to start; I can feel the paychecks rolling in now. These people moaning and complaining about it though are getting on my nerves. So what if there’s an oil leak? We can just suck it back up with a truck, it’s just oil. If those nuts would just get on the winning side we could all work together and make this pipeline even better! They need to stop worrying, the president knows what to do, and we’re America! We have all the resources and power we need, right? Nothing to worry about, no problems at all. (Stand at this point)  Oh whom am I kidding this pipeline is terrible. My wife warned me of this. It’ll probably destroy my lungs as well. I have to be in at 5 a.m. every single morning and work until 9 o clock every freaking night! This isn’t worth it, what the hell am I getting myself into. I don’t want to do this anymore. I’ll find another way.