Quarter 3 Benchmark Anna Sugrue

How does this project relate to the real world?

-The skills we learned in this project can be applied to a variety of different situations and professions. If I ever wanted to know the height of something, I can make quick approximate calculations with a mirror and a tape measure. If I wanted to go into a career in architecture, city planning, civil engineering, construction, interior design, etc, the knowledge of triangles is essential. Triangles are the basis of construction and design everywhere, from the pyramids to pie slices. Knowing how to measure triangles will give anyone an upper hand in the “real world”.

What was the most exciting portion of this project and why? What was the least exciting portion to this project and why?

-The most exciting portion of this project was the in class time we got to go explore our block independently. Going out into the world and applying the knowledge we had learned on paper in a class environment to a large scale real life environment was exciting and invigorating. The least exciting portion of this project was the written portions of the final project. The final calculations did not come out cleanly and were frustrating to evaluate. The stick method was especially frustrating. I also had no idea how to structure my letter to the Neighborhood Association and was a little lost as to how to put together our final written report.

What did you learn from completing this project?

-From completing this project, I learned about triangles and their application in real life situations. From measuring my building, I learned about the approximate heights of buildings around the city and how these buildings could be improved to increase the attractiveness of the area. I also learned 5+ handy new ways to measure to find an approximate height of any tall object (including the purchasing of a measuring app!). I also learned how to navigate the residential areas around SLA better than I did before. I found a new shortcut to get to the Franklin Institute, and a place where they apparently sell great hoagies.

Screen Shot 2013-03-18 at 11.14.36 AM
Screen Shot 2013-03-18 at 11.14.36 AM