Rflite LotF2011

People are always rising above the occasion and taking responsibility for things, just a lot of the time other people overlook it. It’s been this way since at least 1954, because that is the year the book Lord of the Flies, a book about the struggles of young boys who are alone on an island, was written. Rising above things is a major theme in it, even if most people don’t notice. It’s still happening now though. Right now there is a lot of problems with pregnancy and others think it’s bad but people will take care of their child no matter what. They won’t leave them alone to die. Even though they were young children alone on the island in Lord of the Flies, they took responsibly for themselves and others, which relates to pregnancy and taking on the responsibility of caring for somebody else and themselves.
               In the very beginning of Lord of the Flies, Ralph, a responsible boy who is very determined, decides that they need to have a chief and he believe that he could take on that responsibility. In chapter one it says, “’Shut up,’ said Ralph absently. He lifted the conch. ‘Seems to me we ought to have a chief to decide things’”(22.) This shows that since there are no grownups Ralph will take on some responsibility. He doesn’t do it in the nicest way but he is still saying he will rise above everything that is going on right now. This related to a quote that one of the girls on the show Teen Mom has said. The show is the everyday life of girls who have become teen moms and one of them said, “Its actions, not age that make a mom.” In this quote there seems like there is a lot of fear happening. They’re still scared but they are rising above that and taking the responsibility they need to become a mother.
               In Lord of the Flies when the boys have reached the point of fear because of so much stress about being saved and not knowing if they’re ever going to be rescued, they see a ship.  Too bad the fire was out so the ship didn’t know the boys where there. Piggy, a weak boy who people don’t believe can do things, starts to say “If someone threw you a rope while you were drowning. If a doctor take this because if you don’t you’ll die—you would, wouldn’t you?” “Without the smoke signal we’ll die here” (139.) This quotes is Piggy trying to tell everybody if they don’t get their acts together then they are going to die. They aren’t thinking about what’s going on right now and how big a deal losing the fire was, but Piggy is. This is similar to how The Children’s Aid Society works. On their website it says, “The Children’s Aid Society coordinates several programs geared towards these adolescents’ emotional, educational and physical well-being.” This is similar because in Piggy’s quote he was scared, but he knew what was going on and was trying to take control. That’s exactly what TCAS does. They are scared for children becoming parents but they are taking control and doing all they can to help.
        Around the ending of the book Piggy gets his specs stole from him by Jack. Piggy cannot see without his glasses and they cannot make fire without them so Piggy is getting ready to go to Jacks camp and get them back. He says “Not because you’re strong, but because what’s right’s right. Give me my glasses, I’m going to say-- you’ve got to!”(171.) In this quote it is showing Piggy becoming responsible for himself, he stopped living under everyone’s shadow and is making it know that he wants what he deserves. It shows how he was scared when he first got to the island but he’s rising above it. When he said “because what’s right’s right” it is symbolizing who he is because he just realized standing up for him is right and now believe Jack should do what’s right. When someone is a mother of a teen who just got pregnant they have to deal with that “what’s right’s right” type of thing also. This quote from kidshealth.com explains it.” Whatever feelings you're experiencing, this is likely to be a difficult time for your family. The important thing is that your teen needs you now more than ever.” It explains that ever though a mother would be upset and frustrated they have to take some sort of responsibility and do what’s right, take care of their child and soon to be grandchild.
        Just about at the end of the book Piggy has died and Jack turned all of the boys against Ralph. All of the boys are now hunting Ralph down because they want to kill him so Ralph is terrified. In chapter 12 it says, “There was no Piggy to talk sense. There was no solemn assembly for debate nor dignity of the conch, ‘Think,’”(196.) It shows how badly Ralph wants to give up but he doesn’t. He knows it’s his responsibility to keep trying, no matter how bad this go. It’s obvious that he would give up after he talks about how he doesn’t have anyone to help him, he tells himself to think. This related to teen pregnancy because there is a quote by Gisele Bundchen that says “I felt like my pregnancy was a sacred moment for me. I stayed in Boston and I didn't work apart from the contracts I have, and then I only let them use my face.” It shows exactly what Ralph felt. There are things that will be awful but there is always something to look forward to. For Ralph it was being rescued and for Gisele Bundchen it was having a child.
        Overall, even when a situation is rough there is always something to believe to get yourself out of it. All on the boys in Lord of the Flies were scared; the only thing that kept them all working was the chance of survival. The way the boys took responsibility is very lifelike because when a person becomes pregnant they have to take a lot of responsibility. Responsibility is a special trait, it doesn’t matter if an event causes it or if you’ve always had it.