The Deception of Love

Comparing "High School Musical 2" to "Taming of the Shrew"

In William Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew, prankster Lucentio falls in love with the daughter of Baptista. Although he is suppose to be studying at a near by college, he disguises himself as her school master to woo her. He also sends his loyal servant Tranio to bid for her heart. In the 2006 Disney trilogy High School Musical 2, wealthy, and popular Sharpay has a crush on the schools basketball MVP, but he is in love with his year long girlfriend Gabrielle. She then attempts to woo him with a full scholarship to The Unniversity of Albakerky, which he so desperately needs. And a summer job at her family owned country club.  

The tactics used by Lucientio are not vastly different from the modern ways of wooing. In Shakespearean times the only thing needed to wed two people would be a large dowry  authorized by the brides father. Which is similar to strategy used by Sharpay in High School Musical 2, Sharpay uses her fathers wealth and dignitary position to entice Troy.  However the difference between the two text is that the Shakespearean daughters who were offered a dowry were later married off by the father, without the daughters consent. Sharpay’s strategy could not possibly work because Troy has say so in his future. These text reflect that the wooer’s use of deception can not a assure a relationship between two people. However, if their is genuine attraction from both individuals and consent from the fathers, their relationship can flourish into honest love .

Vincentio, Lucentio’s father, returns to his home, to discover his son has swapped identities with the servant, Tranio. And an impostor, assigned by Lucentio, is dressed as him. There is a dispute between the impersonators and Vincentio, which then leads to an attempted arrest. newly weds Luncientio and Bianca arrive. Then Lucentio begs his father and Baptista for their marital consent.  

Baptista: But do you hear, sir, have you married my daughter without asking my goodwill? (ActV, Scene 2, pg. 204) 

Vincetio: Fear not Baptista, we will content you. Go to!(ActV, Scene 2, pg.205) 

In this dialogue Baptista is concerned about the secret marriage, but Vincientio assures him that everything will be ok, as a long as we give them our blessing. Although Lucentio and Bianca eloped, their father’s approval validated their love. 

Troy finds himself in a similar predicament were he needs consent from his father. After Sharpay’s flashes a potential scholarship at Troy. He begins to think he is some what in love with Sharpay, but he can’t differentiate how he feels about Sharpay and how desperately he wants the scholarship. Like Baptista, Troy’s father is ok with Troy liking Sharpay because of the guaranteed scholarship. In this case Sharpay’s dowry is a full scholarship and Troy has his father’s consent to validate their relationship.  

Lucentio had made his way to the home of Baptista where his desired lover, Bianca, resides. Lucientio disguises himself as Bianca’s school teacher in order to get in to her home, and woo her. When he gets there he has a plan to tell her all the things he is feeling so that she will know his true intent for being her music tutor.

Hic ibat, as I told you before, Simois, I am Lucentio, hic est, son unto Vincentio of Pisa, Sigeia tellus, disguised thus to get your love” 

(Act III, Scene 1, page 2)

Lucientio’s blunt way of communicating his emotions are similar to Sharpays frank advances towards Troy. Unlike High School musical Bianca is actually digging the confession from Lucientio. This straightforward confession is only working because Bianca likes the school master and allows him to continue revealing his plan disguised as a music lesson. 

Sharpay gets the brilliant idea to divulge her feeling for Troy through a song. She asks the hotel manager to bring him to this secret performance so that she can tell him how much she loves him. After she sings the song Troy doesn’t reciprocate the feeling leaving Sharpay feeling a bit defeated, but not too defeated because she made progress. 

After her musical selection Sharpay ask Troy how he felt about the performance. He gives her a few pointers about how she could exclude the garish set and sing from the heart, alone. Sharpay replies “This could be our thing.” Then Troy fires back “ I have an our thing, it’s with Gabrielle.” Both Sharpay and Luncentio are essentially using the same tactics to express there love, but for these methods to be successful both parties involved must feel equally or greater about the each other.    

Although the dynamics of a relationship have evolved, the initial tactics to pursuing a relationship remain the same. When the ethical way of approaching someone isn’t a feasible, deception,and dowry will alway’s work. Especially with the father’s seal of approval. Money is commonly used as a wooing mechanism because it is easy to flaunt and can be received by everyone. A father’s seal of approval will always be necessary because of the patriarch role a father plays in his family. Although both High School Musical and the Taming of the Shrew reflect these tactics from different time periods, the common denominator remain the same. As long as the pursued party is attracted to the pursuer the relationship can with stand all odds.