Tucker's Capstone

http://tbartholomew.wix.com/bartholomewcapstone

Annotated Bibliography: 

1. Blundell, Chris. "How to Record an Album in 7Â Days - MTT Open - Music Think Tank." How to Record an Album in 7Â Days. Hypebot.com, n.d. Web. 31 Jan. 2013.

Chris Blundell is a recording artist and video director who has had experience inside of a recording studio. In this article, he describes his own steps when taking a week (7 days) to record music. Realistically, I will never be able to do this. However, that doesn’t mean I cannot use some of his advice. Blundell highlights three major parts of recording: writing, refining, recording, and editing. These are all steps I will need to complete in order to finish my project. 

2. Bartholomew, Tucker. “Everyday I Suffer” - The Movers - Forge Recording Studios. August 23rd, 2012. 

This is an original song that I recorded with my band back in August. This song will no doubt be analyzed, and compared to the learning process at SLA - not for lyrical content, but for the process in which it was made. 

3. Currie, Christopher T., IV. "The Movers - "Means To An End" (Forge Studio Sessions 8/23/12)." YouTube. YouTube, 27 Aug. 2012. Web. 31 Jan. 2013. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMRhckIWpFo>.

This is a video recording of our song, “Means To An End”. It was taken during our recording session at Forge Recording Studios, and is a primary source for the making of our music. This video serves merely as representation of what kinds of things we did inside of the studio. We would lay down scratch tracks, and then re-record over the tracks. This source helps show the recording process with the band. 

4. "Reflection Paper, Tips for Writing - Cleary University Resource Wiki." Reflection Paper, Tips for Writing - Cleary University Resource Wiki. Cleary University, n.d. Web. 31 Jan. 2013. <http://resources.cleary.edu/page/Reflection Paper, Tips for Writing>.

This source offers great tips on writing reflective essays. A large part of my project will be reflective, so it is important to grasp the main concepts behind a reflective paper. This doesn’t help me with my full outline for each essay, but it does help me consider what is important about my process. In order to write a good reflection, I will have to take notes along the way, considering the key points made on this website. 

5. Kant, Immanuel. "Kant. What Is Enlightenment." Kant. What Is Enlightenment. Columbia University, n.d. Web. 31 Jan. 2013. <http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html>.

This source is a publicized version of Immanuel Kant’s “What is Enlightenment” essay. I first read this in tenth grade under Mr. Sanchez’s instruction, and it remains one of the most influential pieces of writing I’ve ever read while at SLA. I wrote a song called “Immanuel”, which uses some of the proposed ideas from the essay. However, the essay has also influenced the way I approach music and songwriting. Kant suggests that the only way to be enlightened is to question basic societal patterns in everyday life. My songwriting has spawned out of my desire to answer questions, or ask them. 

6. "How to Write a Reflective Essay? Few Tips to Consider." How to Write a Reflective Essay? Few Tips to Consider. N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Jan. 2013. <http://www.reflective-essay.com/how-to-write-reflective-essay>.

This is a website specifically designed to help students (undergraduate-level students) write reflective essays. There are multiple tabs on the website for writing a reflective essay, and it breaks down the entire piece into smaller, easier steps. 

7. "Forge Recording." Forge Recording Home Comments. N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Jan. 2013. <http://www.forgerecording.com/>.

This is the studio that my band plans on recording with. We used their facilities before, and were blown away by the equipment available. The producers were more than willing to accommodate our sound, and even offered us professional advice when we began the recording process. 

8. Bartholomew, Tucker “Means To An End” - The Movers - Forge Recording Studios, August 23rd, 2012. 

This is another original song that my band recorded at Forge Recording Studios. It took us around one hour to successfully record all the parts that we needed to layer into the song, and the final product turned out to be seven minutes and thirty seconds long.  I wrote this song at a music camp in the summer of 2012. The camp's teachers performed multiple pieces that they'd mastered for us one evening, and it was quite honestly one of the most beautiful displays of talent I'd ever seen. The song was essentially written about not knowing how to interpret such talent.

9. Bartholomew, Tucker “Grow Me Again” - The Movers - Forge Recording Studios May 9th, 2013

This song is about struggling with feelings of inadequacy in basic, everyday life. The individual in the song feels as if his life is not original, and the problems that he experiences are just re-articulated problems of past generations. He seeks to break out of this cycle, and desires a second shot at past decisions so that he can make different choices. In the end, he is ultimately repurposed, as he describes a love that keeps him grounded in something larger than himself. The song is more acoustic than what we normally play, using a mandolin as the lead instrument.

10. Cifani, Nicole. "Debunking the Digital Zeitgeist." Debunking the Digital Zeitgeist. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Feb. 2013. <http://www.nicolecifani.com/2010/08/playlist-manifesting-what-makes-a-great-mixtape/>.

This source discusses the importance of songorder in playlists/mixtapes. I found this article particularly intriguing because it focused on the mood of the listener. I believe that the order in which I present my songs and essays will have a significant impact on the way the project is received by readers/listeners. This article offers a lot of advice to these simple details. The song order will change depending on the mood/volume of the song. 

11. Rachels, James. "Ethical Egoism." Memelyceum. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Feb. 1994. <http://www.memelyceum.com/documents/kchu228/egoism>.

This source includes an essay written by James Rachels about Ethical Egoism. Over the summer, a fellow student and I participated in an independent study with a philosophy professor from LaSalle University. Since then, I have gained an interest in the philosophy of ethics, and part of my songwriting process has included thinking about common ethical issues. This particular article focuses on problems surrounding ethical egoism, but also presents arguments from both sides of the spectrum.

12. Bartholomew, Tucker “Price to Pay” - The Movers - Forge Recording Studios, August 23rd, 2012. 

This is an older song about a boy who is trying to make sense of some of his older brother's choices. He acknowledges that the decisions his brother ( his role model) has made have pushed his family apart more than they have brought them together. He knows that his brother wants to change, so he asks him to in an attempt to give his brother a new purpose and obligation towards his family.

13. Bartholomew, Tucker “Lamplit Room” - The Movers - Forge Recording Studios, April 23rd, 2013. 

This is an introspective song about a man (or woman) who is made anxious by the possibility of his secrets being brought to the surface. We ran through versions of the song in the studio three times, trying to get an appropriate live sound. The recording is a little longer than intended, but its length reflects how much the sound is supposed to grow throughout the course of the song.

14. Bartholomew, Tucker “Immanuel” - The Movers - Forge Recording Studios, April 23rd, 2013. 

Inspired by a 10th grade World History class, the song is loosely based on some of Immanuel Kant's views on enlightenment. The song is about a man who believes everyone needs to be freed of their self-imposed immaturity, and so he starts a rebellion. Eventually the tables are turned, and instead of leading individuals to think freely, he manipulates them to where they solely follow him, and anyone who opposes him (by thinking freely) is seized.

15. "Nels Cline of Wilco Talks Tone." YouTube. YouTube, 19 Mar. 2012. Web. 31 May 2013.

This twelve minute video is an informational piece about how to build guitar tone. Nels Cline, a lead guitarist for the Chicago based band Wilco, explains his influences as well as his equipment. He explains the importance of building an original sound through effects pedals.