Voting Day Interview!

Tajh Jenkins

Science Leadership Academy

Voting Day Interview

For this voting day assignment, I conducted an interviewed with one of the barbers at a barbershop called "Hair Infatuation". The barbershop is a block away from me. ​The barber who I interviewed declined to be recorded. 

The 5 Questions that I asked him were:

1.) What would you like to see changed in our political system? "I would like for our political system to have more by partisanship. I would also like for the government to direct more of its money towards improving our education systems. Another thing I would like to see change in our political system is less corporate power involved in politics."

2.) What was the most memorable campaign ad that you have encountered?

"The most memorable campaign ad that I have encountered is when John Kerry was running for president against Bush. I was a supporter of John Kerry's campaign."

3.) Did you learn about voting in school? If yes, did that impact your willingness to vote today? "No I didn't learn about voting in school. They didn't expose us to voting while I was in school. My family members, specifically my uncles, influenced me to vote. As a kid I would go to the voting booths with them."

4.) Are you always sure of who you are going to vote for when you walk into the booth or are you still deliberating? "When I go to vote, I'm always sure of whom I'm voting for. I already have a game plan before I go into the booth."

5.) What changes do you hope to see in Philadelphia as a result of this election?

"Well in Philadelphia I would like to see more effort into improving the streets/environments. I would also like for Philadelphia to put more money into our public schools and I would like to see the city make it more of a goal to improve the homelessness in throughout the city."

I think that my interview went very well today. There were a lot of insightful things that we discussed outside of him answering these questions. I learned that he really could get deep when it comes to talking about politics and the government.