Yasmeen Brownlee Capstone

​Link to Website

Link to Google Doc

Physical things:
-Photo Album
-Sketch Book

Computer was frozen for two days:
Process Paper
    For this senior project called a capstone I was able to choose a topic that interested me that I wanted to create my own project on. The topic that I choose was drawing as well as photography, which I explored in many different ways. First was that I had three different camera as well as different methods and mediums for taking pictures, one was film and the other was digital. Also after I had taken the picture I later tried my best at drawing the image, sometimes inking it up or plain coloring it in.
    I chose this project firstly because during the summer I had recently bought myself a professional grade DSLR camera for my love of taking pictures. Also because I bought this new DLR I wanted to put it to use, and I believed adding my talents as a photographer and an artist was a way to push myself to new limits and further my ability.
    This project covers the SLA core values because of the many components involved. The first value inquiry was involved when I was researching different photographers as well as how to take different types of images. Which was very interesting because of the vast amount of information I was able to uncover. Also another core value is collaboration, which was covered through my mentor Mr. Herman who is a photographer and he gave me plenty of tips on how to take pictures. Also my Uncle Sultan who showed me some of the basics of drawing and what I needed to change in my images. Reflection played a role after the whole process as well as during when I questioned the quality of my images and how I could do better. Also in the end when I reviewed everything that I did and though about what I would do differently. Presentation played it’s part in this project when I photoshopped some of my images, as well as creating a website to present my images on.
    I took a lot of steps in trying to complete this project first was trying to figure out what exactly I would photograph or take pictures of. Another was making the website so that my images would be visible to many more people than myself.
    I didn’t encounter that many obstacles throughout this project, but I was able to overcome most of them. One obstacle was the fact that I myself wanted to learn and develop the film I took on my own but I was never able to do that so I just went to CVS and processed the film that way.
    First of all I used WIX which is a site to create websites, in which I used to create my own website. Another was My mentor as well as advisor and I relied on him for tips and information on what to do with my pictures as well as how to take them. I also us Photoshop to edit pictures that I took for the better or worse, so that I could see which I liked better. I relied on my mom for buying me the materials that I needed like a photo album to put pictures as well as a photo printer. I used a Canon Selphy printer to print all of my digital images, which came out in fabulous quality
    I am most proud of the quality of my pictures over time and how far I was able to come from not even knowing how to use my DSLR camera. I am proud of the places I was able to travel to with my camera so that not only I could capture the site in an image, but I was able to enjoy myself. I’m proud that I impressed people that I was able to get my first paid gig as a photographer of my baby cousin, and how happy I made the mother with the quality of my pictures.
    I learned so much from this process I’m almost not sure where to begin and what I learned the most. First I learned how to come pretty close to mastering what a Nikon DSLR camera can do in my hands as well as the quality of my pictures that won’t hesitate in its increasing ability of my photography. I learned how to create my own website, while adding my own unique touch that made it look like no other. I learned how to use a telephoto lens in low light as well as action settings. I learned to always charge my battery because the best things happen when you can’t even use your camera. I learned how to set up and use a wireless printer, that can be used from a phone as well as from and inserted memory card.
    If I were  to do this capstone all over the first thing I would do is find a way to develop my own film so I could get the experience that I truly desire. I would also try and narrow down on what it was that I would be taking photographs of because it would have been a lot easier to study as well as perfect. I would have taken many more pictures in film, so that I could explore old and vintage as well as how it effects the image. I would have brought a waterproof camera to get some amazing underwater shots. I would have also saved up to buy a telephoto lens so that I could practice with it, also so I didn’t have to be so close to the subjects I would be photographing.
    This is a tricky question I guess SLA ins a better place because I am helpful to many and attitude towards life influences everyone to do better. Also I took on the projects head on even though I may have stumbled a few times the SLA community including the staff helped to steady me back upright on my feet. I wasn’t afraid to join a group I don’t normally work or interact with and take charge. I utilized most of the things handed out to us like staying after for help on work, or just to understand teachers. I was able to leave an impression on the future generation, the fact that I was able to help the freshman while they also felt comfortable asking me questions.