Zucchini Bread Recipe

Zucchini Bread

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 3 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup of vegetable oil
  • 2 ¼ cups of white sugar
  • 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract
  • 2 cups of grated zucchini
  • 1 cup of chopped walnuts

Directions:

1) Grease and flour two 8x4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325º F (165º C).
2) Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
3) Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until they well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.

4) Bake for 40 – 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.

Recipe provided by: "Mom's Zucchini Bread Recipe - Allrecipes.com." Allrecipes.com - Recipes, Menus, Meal Ideas, Food, and Cooking Tips. Web. 02 Nov. 2011. <http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/moms-zucchini-bread/detail.aspx>.

Analysis:
     I decided to make Zucchini Bread, which is a sweet-tasting desert-type dish, that I always remember my mom making frequently when I was a little kid. This recipe contains the typical ingredients that you would find in a regular cake such as sugar, eggs, baking soda, vanilla extract, flour, etc. However, the unique part about this recipe is that it contains a vegetable, which is not very common to find in a cake. This recipe is a delicious treat to have every once in a while, and something that is healthier to eat than regular cake, but if you were to eat this every day, you would be consuming a pretty big amount of sugar, which could cause you to develop diabetes after a while. The ingredients that were used in this recipe were both commercially grown and organically grown, which means this recipe has both positive and negative effects on the environment. This because the organic ingredients within this recipe are grown and produced using no chemicals such as fertilizer, pesticides, fossil fuel and much more, however, the commercially grown food is grown using many different chemicals that harm the environment in countless ways.

All of the ingredients in this recipe came from ACME, which is a company that sells both natural and organic food brands (consisting of ingredients that are 70% – 95% organically grown) that come from all over the world. The ingredients in my recipe that were 100% organic were the walnuts and the zucchini. ACME, and the companies that are ACME’s food providers, as well as the farmers that grew/produced the food are who made money off of this recipe.

Reflection:
     During this unit, I learned a great deal of things about food, the food industry, what I should and should not consider eating, and much more. All of the things of which I have learned during this unit have really opened my eyes to the point that I have even caught myself looking at the ingredients in some foods before I decide if I am going to eat them or not.

Throughout this entire unit, one thing that has really stuck out to me is the movie, Food Inc., and how selfish the large food companies (that have taken over the food industry such as Perdue and Tyson) are. The only thing they care about is making as much money as they possibly can in the fastest and cheapest way possible; regardless of how unhealthy their ending “food” product is, as well as how poorly they treat their livestock. These two things are truly shocking and scary to me. The fact that when I go into the supermarket and buy a pound of chicken breasts and not know what is actually in those “chicken breasts” is something that really terrifies me.

A way to solve the problem we face which is large food companies taking over the food industry is by buying and supporting local farmers and purchasing more organic food from grocery stores. Not only will this help the fight against these large food companies (that claim they produce “food”, but don’t), but it will also benefit everyone’s health because we will be consuming REAL food, that contains no unknown chemicals, food that is naturally grown, and most importantly, food that is treated in a much more humane way.

Food Rule Slide: