Feminist Film Review: Bajirao Mastani

Capture
Capture
Bajirao Mastani was a creation of real life incident that took place years ago back in India. In this movie, the girl "Mastani" meets a warrior "Bajirao" at a war ground. After having some fondness for Bajirao, Mastani decided to break the rule and be with Bajirao at any cost. Mastani knew that Bajirao had a wife but that didn't bother her at all. On top of that, Mastani was a Muslim and Bajirao was Hindu. In the eye of religion, a Muslim could not marry a Hindu. If they did, families would separate from them and great consequences would occur. Forcing everything away that could possibly stop her, Mastani decided to do go Bajirao's palace as a form of a dancer and "earn" Bajirao. By doing this, Mastani was created her own story arc rather than depending on a man and not letting the man control her. 

Here is the trailer of the movie. Enjoy...!
Capture
Capture

1) Write a review of a movie that meets the Bechdel and/or Mako Mori tests.  Cite evidence for why it meets the criteria for these tests.

= Bajirao clearly meets the Mako Mori test. The reason why Bajirao Mastani meets the Mako Mori tests are as follows: 

* Bajirao Mastani does have more than one female character. 

* The character, "Mastani" does have her own narrative arc. The narrative arc that the character have clearly doesn't support a man's story. Mastani decided everything herself and did do everything herself without anyone's help. Even though there is love involved in this movie, it isn't controlled by the man but the women instead. Mastani decided how everything is going to play around in her world by creating her own destiny and breaking the culture norm that she grew up in. 

My anti-gender bias film test would be:

* There is at least one male and one female that is present in the movie. 

* The male and female both need to talk to each other in a respective manner and not show superiority over one another. 

* The male and female both should have their own narrative arc of the story. One of the narrative can't not superior the other one. 

* Both the male and female must support each others narrative arc somehow. 

* Both the male and female much have equal screen time and respected story line. 

Review of Bajirao Mastani according to my test. 

I would say this movie does meet about 60% requirement of my test. There is two character, one male and one female. Both do have their narrative arc but the arc doesn't equalize. The women get's more superiority over the male which isn't one of the requirement. Both of the gender do support each others arc but I feel like the guy supports a lot more to the women sides arc rather then both side supporting each other equally. Overall, I wish I could've given it a 100% requirement but I will wait for the movie that does meet my requirement . 

Here is brief detail about the movie...

Capture
Capture