Hikma Salhe- Female Genital Mutilation

​Science- 
"Female genital mutilation comprises all procedures involving paritial or total removal of the female external genitalia or other injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons as defined by the World Health Organisation (WHO)." FGM is often done on girls between infancy and 15 years of age. There are four types of FGM:
  1. Clitoridectomy- removal of partial or whole clitoris and/or it's prepuce.
  2. Excision- removal of clitoris and labia minora.
  3. Infibulation- the narrowing of the vaginal opening through the creation of a covering seal.
  4. Any kind of non-medical, harmful procedures to the female genitalia 
Studies have shown that there is no known medical benefit to FGM, in fact the consequences are incredible. Most women suffer from problems urinating, vaginal/vulva cysts, vaginal infections, complications in future pregnancies and childbirth. 

Society-
FGM occurs all over the world, however it is not as apparent as it once was 20 years ago. FGM is most popular in North, Eastern/Sub-Saharan Africa, and the Middle East. FGM, in most countries, is considered to be a necessity to raise a girl. It’s ‘purpose’ is to keep the female modesty and virginity intact, making it popular amongst men. It aims to reduce female libido and overall female sexuality, by instilling fear into the woman.