#IamAWitness - Gregory Tasik

Screenshot 2015-10-27 at 11.36.22 AM
Screenshot 2015-10-27 at 11.36.22 AM

In tech class on Friday, my class and I watched an interactive video on bullying, titled #IamAWitness. As the video progressed, it allowed us to make a decision; allow the kid to be bullied, or to stop the bullying. The first time we watched, we allowed the kid to be bullied, however during the second time, we stopped the bullying. Then, we had a classroom discussion and every student did a typed reflection on Canvas.

What this video brought to my mind is that cyber bullying is just dangerous as physical bullying because every person takes things differently. It also reminded me that I have to be careful of my image online as much as I have to be careful with my image in real life. I realize I have to be careful with what I say over the internet. In my current state, I do not interact much with people online besides social media sites like Instagram, Facebook, and Snapchat. Based on what I’ve done on the internet, I believe I am perceived as a troll in a funny type of way(only to my friends). Hopefully, I am not perceived as the trolls that are described in this article - https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-online-secrets/201409/internet-trolls-are-narcissists-psychopaths-and-sadists -

which describes them as narcissists, psychopaths, and sadists who try their hardest to get a response from the victim. Lastly, there are positive and negative results of online anonymity. The positives is that the average “joe” wouldn’t know who you are without some research and that you can remain anonymous. However, the negatives is that, if someone does enough “digging around” a person can find out who you really are.

Picture Credit License

Attribution Some rights reserved by wentongg