Jade's Quarter 1 Art Gallery

This quarter I completed four art projects. First I paired up with my friend Rosalie Swana and started sketching out a sample for the ceiling tile we created. She wrote out the Arabic word for peace (the word/phrase also means other things thats just paraphrasing). After we stetted it on the paper and had it approved by our art teacher we transferred it onto the tile and started painting. Truth be told I didn’t do much other then painting, and touch up colors.

After that was finished I free-hand painted a sunset over water. Without and real purpose other then to paint a killer sky. After about forty minuets I somehow painted the sky to appear like it was bleeding. At the time it really spoke to me and came off as beautiful, although the longer I look at it the less beautiful and more garish it comes off.  Another thing I created was, one sharpie sketch of Jack Skellington’s face. The original idea was to use that completed sketch as a stencil to carve my jack-o-lantern. Later on in the process of putting the stencil on my squash I realized that it was way too small, and the stencil walked all the way up the sides. That combined with having to cut the top off made it seem completely unrealistic to carve that on the squash. Instead I just carved a star on it free-hand. I thought that it would look nice, and would be fairly easy to fix if I carved it too small. 

After that I was supposed to sketch a self portrait. Although I didn’t do that I did take a self portrait. The picture is grainy and its obviously not drawn, but it is black and white and I figured that was better then nothing. The real reason I didn’t sketch the portrait is because I can’t draw faces, or even humans really. So I just gave up before I started. 

Really the only thing that inspires me for my visual art is what I see and feel in the world around me. I guess the reason I can’t draw people or their faces is because I try not to look at them while I’m out in the real world or on the streets. Not because I dislike people or have an issue with noticing them, but really because so many people in the world can only see themselves and the people around them, so I try to look beyond that and see the things around everyone. Seeing the background makes everything seem less chaotic, and more simplistic, so I try to zoom in on that and use interesting colors to make them stand out as much to everyone else as much as they do to me. 

https://docs.google.com/a/scienceleadership.org/presentation/d/1ndMAASBQorg1G9yj0ZUgDBfYeEPLgKoZqwgN0PxGlhw/edit?usp=sharing