Khadijah Fofana Capstone

Earlier in the year, I walked into a middle school called Tilden Middle School. But prior to that I was looking to start an all girls program but could not find anywhere to start. I called one of my old teachers from Tilden and told her to please set up a talking session for me, basically to promote what I was intending to do. After getting her to do so, I was able to talk to about thirty five girls, and about twenty of the girls give me their names and phone numbers. Due to not having no where to meet, we started meeting every Saturday in my living room. At the first meeting I told the girls if they wasn’t too interested then they should not waste my time. After the third meeting I was left with about seven girls. Towards the end of the program, which was two Saturdays ago I was left with only four girls. We went to poetry slams, Skating, Parks and other plans didn’t fall through. I was able to take some of the girls to PYPM workshops. I have never felt so good about something. The text messages they would send me after each time we did something was heart warming. I want to be a teacher in the future and my intentions were to get close to young teens, mostly girls so that I can help them change the world's perspective on women. I learned that building a sisterhood takes a lot but with dedications and motivation anything is possible.

Nixon, By Robin. "Adolescent Angst: 5 Facts About the Teen Brain."LiveScience. TechMediaNetwork, 08 July 2012. Web. 28 Jan. 2012

I read about how one can interact with teens, and how young teens mind works. because as a mentor, you have to be able to understand what triggers emotions in your mentees This website does a really good job at explaining why teens do a certain things. The website talks about how an adult can be careful so that their mentees don’t think something else besides the truth about their relationship. There is also science involved in this in a sense, and the website helps me under how I as a mentor can deal with a lot of the things kid go through.

"Start Nonprofit." Sisters Of Hope. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2011

This website help me find out how to start a program. how to get connections and how to also get people to take you seriously. It teach you how to talk to sponsor and how to make your organization a non profit. With this sources there were picture showing me how to also take picture so that they can reflect a lot without words. Some advices I got from the website was alway be professional when it comes to trying to get notice or when it come to young adults taking you seriously

Soroptimist International Of The Americas • 1709 Spruce St., Philadelphia, Pa 19103-61. Designing a Club Mentoring Program for Girls (n.d.): n. pag. Web.

This website was a worldwide perspective on how women in general needs to be mentored.  it talks a number of different programs, such as Soroptimists which strive to improve the lives of women and girls in our community today communities and throughout the world. Basically what the site said  is the Soroptimists use their time, talents and financial resources to enrich their communities and improve the lives of women and girls.  I though know that a mentoring program for girls is a way of achieving  goals interesting because it helped realize my whole purpose of doing this This website was useful because it had a kit that helps with everything I needed to know about mentoring.

"Benefits of Mentoring." Benefits of Mentoring. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2015.

This website talks about the benefits of mentoring and it also explain very well what it metor mean. The website is basically saying that  a mentor is a caring, adult friend who devotes time to a young person. and that Although mentors can fill any number of different roles, all mentors have the same goal in common to help young people achieve their potential and discover their strengths. it also say that mentors should understand they are not meant to replace a parent, guardian or teacher. A mentor is not a disciplinarian or decision maker for a child. I think is was interesting to see them say “A mentor's main purpose is to help a young person define individual goals and find ways to achieve them. Since the expectations of each child will vary, the mentor's job is to encourage the development of a flexible relationship that responds to both the mentor's and the young person's needs.” I think that helps me understand my goals.

"Coaching and Mentoring For Dummies." :Book Information. N.p., n.d. Web. 10Jan. 2011.

Using this book, I found simple ways to mentor my “clients”. Of Course they are important to me, and I want them to feel special. I don’t want to just have them sit down and talk, I want them to feel free to talk about anything, and guide them to the right path. If you don't know what to say, why say anything at all? This book will help me to think about what I should say in certain circumstances, and they give me ideas on how i should go about, in certain ways.

"Definition of Mentoring - Benefits of Mentoring." Definition of Mentoring - Benefits of Mentoring. N.p., n.d. Web.15 feb. 2010.

This website allows me to actually know what the word “mentoring means’. yes, i am familiar with the term because it relates back to guidance. However, the true meaning of mentoring will allow me to actually show the students I am mentoring what it will mean to them. Actually getting to know something and someone is more than just a  job titile, its feeling that passion and connection between the mentor and the student. It allows them to actually feel wanted and special, and feel like they have a special someone who actually wants to lead them somewhere. They have role models...not “mentors”.

Edmonds, Molly. HowStuffWorks. HowStuffWorks.com, n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2015.

Teens will always have problems, they will alway think that people are coming at them, or attacking them. So I have learn that always keep in mind what you say to youth. Also watch tones when speaking, there’s a difference between making them understand that you care vs making them feel attack. Science shows that many teens are usually not very stable in the mind, so when you don’t remind them of something they tend to just let rocks fall on them without moving. This website was very useful and had very good information about the nature of teens.

"The Mentor Experience: Open Your Heart and Home." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2015.

This is an excellent way to show how i really want to mentor people. i want to have a lasting experience, not something people dread coming to. I want them to be excited that they are coming to me for the meetings and that they can actually lookup to me. The whole reason for me to mentor or guide someone to the right path, is because i’ve had plenty of mentors when people who are supposed to be there for me, weren’t. I want people to know that they will always have someone, even if it does look like no one. Leaving  a mark in someone's heart is very deep, whether it was negative  or positive, and i want to leave a lasting impression on someone.

Mentoring Kids Pays off." Rochester Democrat and Chronicle. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2015.

“I can’t begin to count the number of times in my life I’ve had to get up in front of a group of people in a board room and present information. But standing up in front of a group of students in a classroom is totally different. Especially when you know those young people need you and are listening intently to every word you are saying.“this is a wonderful example of how people feel when they need mental support. People need mentoring for numerous reasons, and they are all diverse. From big to small, everyone needs encourage, and I am willing to offer my best, and offer my helping hand to them.

"Rebuilding A Broken Generation." Teens Of America -. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2015.

This is just a website about teens in America in general. There are a lot of other people trying to build the teens in America back up and I think this website does a really good job at point out the problems and how we can fix them. I have learn from this website that everything is not going to be possible, but that it will take patient and time. I am willing to put the time and effort. The website states that kids need to know that you have the time for them and you have the time to care.

Media link: https://plus.google.com/105441168257300202215/posts/1m3N1XheNGF?pid=6151897369012789794&oid=105441168257300202215