Laws vs. The People

During periods of danger, people tend to base their decisions on what will be the quickest way to relieve themselves from the situation.  This is result of humans not being able to efficiently deal with things that cause them discomfort. They will go to great measures to decline back into a space of comfort and familiarness. In modern society, people make rash decisions with the sole purpose of protecting themselves from anything they’re not used to or do not want to deal with. A mindset that can drive people into survival mode in an attempt to deter the panic, this sudden uncomfortable fear or anxiety that can cause people to act in an unnatural behavior. This often times cause for our actions to be uncivilized;  affecting the environments around us, thus causing us to to do things that we don’t want to do sometimes breaking a law or two maybe the effect of panic. Actions are determined by the complexity of a situation and the way we choose to handle it.

In  “Lord of the flies” by William Golding, this happened to a group of small boys, who were stranded on an island due to a plane crash. Not understanding what is going on around them ,they began to cause chaos because of their panic. This was because, they were stuck on an island with no adults to guide them and tell them what they should be doing. They were scared and that was the bottom line. When someone is scared they begin to panic and most of the time they want to get their mind off whatever is traumatizing them. These boys wanted to get off of that island but they couldn’t. It was physically, mentally and emotionally impossible for them.  When first reading the chapter when the boys calmed down and were able to do something that might help them get their mind off the fact that they were stuck on the island, they decided to elect Ralph, a boy who was just about the oldest of all of them,  as the leader that’s when they put all of their faith in him to help guide them off that island and back into the arms of their parents.

Once they have chosen a leader they needed rules to keep everyone on the same page because they all had the same goal. They wanted to stay safe and alive. Generally, in the real world today, when rules are created it's to keep people safe and make sure everyone has something to do. Which brings us to the question of why, Why do humans create rules and law? When do they help and when do they hurt? In the novel, it's pretty clear that having rules and laws kept everyone in place. Rules are created all the time to make sure that people know that can not do anything that they want to do.

When the boys decided that it was time for them to come up with some rules for everyone, the one rule that was most important out of all of them was the one relating to the conch shell. It was used to signal the other boys on the island, and Ralph had full control over the conch and was going to use it to his full advantage. Shortly after sounding the conch, he continued to say, “And another thing. We can’t have everybody talking at once. We’ll have to have ‘Hands up’ like at school.” (33). The conch was key to all of the boys on the island, the one who was holding the conch could have a chance to let their voice be heard just as much as the person who was next to them.

The best thing about the conch was that it was something that someone could hold and maybe have the same feeling Ralph did when he got elected to be the leader. Sadly that’s not the case, today in the real world. Humans could only hope for something as simple yet very powerful. There are 43 case like this one, but not the same exact one. When the people of the United States of America elect someone into office want someone who knows the best thing for us and can get our message across the world.

In the real world, Laws and rules keep people safe and things organized. Without them the world would be at war right now. Wherever you go there are rules that you have to follow and/or obey and if you choose not to then you have chosen to accept the consequence that come with it. This is a quote from the novel, "We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages. We're English, and the English are best at everything." Keeping in mind that these are children, the fact that they said that they have to obey the rules really is shocking the reason behind this is because they have more common sense than most people do. The author of the book seems to believe that rules are necessary but on the other had someone might stop back at the quote and look at that word “savages.”

There are many “savages” in America, now the word savage could mean many things to many different people. The way that it’s used in the book makes the reader think of people who don’t obey and follow the rules. Today those people might be labeled as criminals, rebels or maybe they are just savage. The answer to the question of why do humans create laws and rules is simply, to keep people safe. When do they hurt? They can hurts whenever you chose to accept them as rules.

Why do humans create rules and law? When do they help and when do they hurt? - This may seem like the most easiest question to answer but once you really break the question down and begin to answer it you will understand how intricate the question really is. Humans create rules and laws to ensure that everything is going smoothly and everyone is safe. Everyone wants the same thing to keep each other safe but sometimes things don’t work out like they should. We can’t just write our own life and avoid everything that is planned for us. We don’t know what are future will consist of.

Kara Lazorko (Student 2018)
Kara Lazorko

I agree to the comparison of rules and law, because it was something in which the boys tried to follow, but things did not really come together in the end. "Humans create rules and laws to ensure that everything is going smoothly and everyone is safe. Everyone wants the same thing to keep each other safe but sometimes things don’t work out like they should. " I liked this writing because she analyzed the details of what they are needed.

Kimberly Barnes (Student 2018)
Kimberly Barnes

I really enjoyed your essay as a whole! <3. It was very well written. I enjoyed your comparison and your argument was strong.2) During periods of danger, people tend to base their decisions on what will be the quickest way to relieve themselves from the situation. I like sentence because it captures something in reality. Something that really happens and affects other people.

J'Lynn Matthews (Student 2018)
J'Lynn Matthews

I love the topic of your essay. I think it had good points to relate to the book. My favorite thing that you said was, "The answer to the question of why do humans create laws and rules is simply, to keep people safe. When do they hurt? They can hurts whenever you chose to accept them as rules. " I love the answers you prived for the question. You generalized you answer based off of both the book and real world examples. Keep up the good work!