My Truong- Summer Rolls

Ingredients: 6 summer  rolls

• 4 ounces rice vermicelli noodles

• 12 rices paper

• medium fresh shrimp -  1 pound

• Chicken breast - 1 pound

• 1 cup Thai basil leaves (or Italian basil leaves)

Instruction:

• Boil the water in the pan then place rice vermicelli noodles inside while the head still for 5 min or until the water reboil

• Boil the chicken breast then cut them until small pieces

• Boil the shrimp then peel off the skin.

• Wash the basil leaves then cut them to small pieces

• Cucumber cutting straight

Fill up large bowl with warm water

Tap the warm paper on the rice paper and spread it around then wait for about 10 second for the rice paper to soak in ( this help the rice paper soft and easy to roll later)

• Place 2 piece of shrimps + 2 pieces of chickens in a straight row

• Place basil leaves on top of the meet

• Add  rice vermicelli noodles on top of basil leaves add cucumber

• Carefully lift edge of summer roll skin nearest you up and over filling. Fold sides over filling and continue to roll away from you until edges are sealed.

• Continue building the rest of the rolls. You should make around 12 rolls depend on how much ingredients that are being put inside the rolls

Sauces:

• 2/3 cup hoisin sauce

• 1/3 cup water

• 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

• 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce

If you like peanut you can add 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter if you like. I’m not putting it in because some people might be allergic to peanut.

• Whisk together sauce ingredients in a bowl until smooth

how-to-roll-summer-roll2
how-to-roll-summer-roll2
images
images

Food analyze 

Summer rolls are made out of fresh ingredients, since most of the ingredients are being boil. The only food being processed are the hoisin sauce. The rest of the ingredients are whole food. Hoisin sauce are made out of lot of different ingredients such as sweet potato, wheat or rice, water, sugar, soybeans, sesame seeds, white distilled vinegar, salt, garlic, red chili peppers, and sometimes preservatives or coloring agents. These ingredients are being process. But other than the sauces the rest of the ingredients are made out of whole foods. Summer rolls are very healthy, it is not greasy nor very butter. It cover a lot of nutrient that we need daily, and it also fill you up. One summer rolls are around 117 calories. However it only contain .9g sugar from sugar, and .5g total fat. Most of the calories come from the noodles. So it also depend on how much noodle you put into each rolls. Summer rolls contain a great amount of Vitamins A and iron. However eating too much of summer rolls are not good for your health. You can get high blood pressure if eating too much shrimp. Normal servicing summer rolls should be around 3 to 4 rolls.

Most of the ingredient in summer rolls can be produce in the US farmer. However the only ingredient that might need to travel is the sauces, but summer rolls can eat with different sauces that are made in the US. There is no restrict to one sauces for summer rolls. Most summer rolls are being serve with this type of sauces because it was easy to found. I spend around 20$ for 25 summer rolls. Compare to fast food, home made meal are alway chipper. But with summer rolls it cost about 1.35$ per rolls. Spending around 5.40$ for a full serving of 4 rolls with only about 468 calories. That contain less than 5g of sugar and fat. Summer rolls are way more nutrition. During the summer time most of the vegetable use in summer rolls can be growth at home which make it cheaper to make summer rolls.

Self-Reflection

I really enjoy this food unit. I learn to read what I should eat, thing that I think is healthy in up being very unhealthy. I also learn that America depend a lot on process food. That had so many chemical that affect their health in a long term. I was so lucky to growth up in family, where they make not only good but healthy food. My mom cook everyday and the food she cook are not come from process food. It actually whole food that she make to a meal. Instead of putting it in a microwave and call it a meal. I also an big fan of vegetable. When my mom doesn't make vegetable I usually make it myself. Most of the time I pan fried whatever I had in the refrigerator. Sugar are also a big issue in America. Since I live in Vietnam for a long time before I moved over here, it was hard for me to adapt to eating American food. I don't like butter, however I love sweet, I realize that it is so easy to access with food that are load sugar and/or butter. Which is also the reason why diabetes and obesity become a major issue in America. When it come to eating I’m really picky. I like Asian taste and I refuse to try other food. If I could change my food choices I would like to try more other foods then the one I normally eat , try to eat less sugar, become the habit to read the ingredients.
Screen Shot 2015-01-30 at 10.29.24 AM
Screen Shot 2015-01-30 at 10.29.24 AM