Negative Space Drawing

A. What is negative space (explain this concept to a fourth grader that has never heard of it)?

Negative space is the space that is between and around an object. Usually negative space can be expressed in two colors. There are no details given in negative space when looking at the object or background, but only an outline.

B. Explain how you found negative space in 1. your cut out?, 2. in your still life drawing?

I found the negative space by paying attention to the color differences. The image that I cut out only had two colors. The background was black while the object (in this case a tree), was a light grey. You couldn't see the details of a tree except a simple outline. In the still life drawing, I created the outline based on the lack of detail the object in a negative space drawing requires. The object needed to be identified, but doesn't need the detail.

C. Why does it help an artist to see in negative space?

It can help the artist indentify the object they are focusing on and pay more attention to it.

D. Does seeing in negative space enhance drawings, why or why not?

They do in fact. Seeing negative space can bring out the main subject of a drawing, especially if they were originally just blending in.