Q2 Art Portfolio

After another quarter of work, I learned more by studying other people’s work in multiple mediums to gain inspiration for my own. My interests are rooted deeply in artists my age and I pulled much of my inspiration from those that I follow on Instagram and Twitter. I enjoyed going to an abstract place with a few of my pieces and not worrying so much about producing something that looked the way I originally intended, but about producing something that I enjoyed creating. Earlier in the quarter, I realized that my meticulousness was holding me back and towards the end, my more abstract pieces bring back feelings of accomplishment. This quarter in art, we worked on a variety of mediums and got to dabble in our own personal style even more. The first project in my slide, drawing fabric, was one of my favorite. I got experiment with lines and shape and shadowing, which is one of my biggest difficulties. I made sure I used different types of pictures for these as fabric has a very specific shape depending on how it's held or laid and is really fun to experiment with.

My second piece, the photo editing, was also fun as one of my first loves is photography. I used a picture that I took using 35mm film a couple summers ago and did some color correction; I'm not a huge fan of filters because i think, unless it's a filter you created, they can add too much drama to something really nice. My third piece is the illustration. For this, I designed a cover for one of my favorite albums by one of my favorite bands, The Internet. Their ego death album speaks on relationship troubles, societal issues, and pop culture. I listened to it over and over to give myself ample inspiration. I wish that I had colored pencils in my house because I'd add a yellow background to make the other colors pop. In all, I enjoyed creating this quarter and I'm excited for next quarter's assignments.