SLA Boys Varsity Ultimate Wins Tourney!

The Science Leadership Academy won Division II of the Hip Hop on Pop Tourney in Oaks, PA on Sunday with four straight wins to take the day! The boys started their day with a 13-5 win over Barrack Hebrew Academy. The first game saw the team start slowly, winning half 7-4 before going on 6-1 run to win the game. SLA started slowly in their second game, going down 2-0 to Cardinal O'Hara before raising their level of play. Sophomore Saamir Baker led the team with some of his most inspired offensive play as a Rocket. SLA took half 7-4 in that game, and won 13-6. SLA played their most complete game in their third game, beating Strath Haven 13-2 to set up a finals match up against the host school - Perkiomen Valley.

The finals saw SLA get tested like no other game that day, with the teams trading early points. SLA struggled late in the first half against Perkiomen Valley's zone defense, and PV took half 7-5. But the Rockets saved their best for last, as the seniors stepped up to bring the Rockets back. Tri-captains Jonas Bromley, Miles Cruice-Barnett and Andrew Roberts played smart, disciplined ultimate against the tough Perkiomen Valley defense to put the Rockets on top 9-8. But PV was not done, tying the game at the time cap 9-9 to set up "Universe Point" to decide the game. 

On game point, the SLA offense clicked perfectly, and the game ended on a sophomore connection - Eli Block to Nate Little to Jori Gerveni for the win and the trophy! It was a great day of Ultimate for the Rockets, with all 11 players making key contributions toward the tournament victory. Go Rockets!