Chelsea Middlebrooks Capstone

PlayA Club in New York after seeing Kinky Boots. We got autographs from a few of the cast members and got a picture with J. Harrison Ghee.

My capstone was a year long project that stemmed from my passion of theater. I didn’t get a lot of exposure to theater throughout high school. So I wanted to expose others to the art and understand the different types that exist. My club was called PlayA Club, which stood for Play Analyzation Club, it’s like a book club but for plays, where we read and discussed plays. The club was small with only seven members including me. I got a diverse group of students for the club so there would be different perspectives on topics. We all got along because they were already close friends with me when they joined, so it really added to the atmosphere of the club. When I started the club I wanted the members to see theater in both mediums. Although there was a schedule conflict and we were able to go see plays during the school day like I had initially planned. The club started in November and it ended in early May. We looked at a total of 6 plays.  In late January after discussing it with the members of club, we decided to go see a broadway show in New York City. It took a lot of fundraising and a lot of bake sales to raise six hundred dollars to cover the cost of the tickets to the show Kinky Boots, but it was completely worth it. We also explored New York and had some amazing once and a lifetime experiences. Throughout the club I learned how to be a leader, but to also take input for my club members., and to have them lead sometimes to see where  it takes the club. I am so lucky to have experienced this with an amazing group of students.  

Link to Bibliography:

https://docs.google.com/a/scienceleadership.org/document/d/1hFo0bXu2yLTGscUnKrVZAo3952Y7BXXgSJuWy3UJz2E/edit?usp=sharing