Conflict Diamonds

Hello again readers! 

These conflict diamonds are coming from 4 main mines, Angola, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Democratic Republic of Congo, and Zimbabwe. All of these places are major mines. It used to be that the colonial European countries took Africa’s riches for themselves. Now Africans are fighting Africans over the continent’s riches. These diamonds are important to the rebels because they are their main source of funding their civil war. According to the Boston Globe, Former Liberian President Charles Taylor is accused of supporting the rebels in neighboring Sierra Leone during that country's civil war in return he got diamonds. The 1991-2002 war killed an estimated 500,000 people, with some of the most extreme violence was committed by drugged child soldiers. (august 10, 2010.) When I first read this I was stunned by the cruelty involved with this war. Now I realize that its not just about the diamonds, its about power over people. Think about the diamonds your family may have, where do you think they came from?

Thanks for reading.

In my next blog I will talk about the power of movies, and how they can be a effective tool to awaken the public.

Anonymous

Eventually, these diamonds make they way to the business market, or diamond dealers. you can find diamond traders here for example: http://best-place-to-buy-diamonds.com <p>