Janiya Collins' Capstone

For my capstone, my plan was to answer the inquiry question "How can I make a new space, specifically the sixth-floor terrace, more fun and comfortable for everyone in the SLA Community?" I knew that after our move, many people in our school felt uncomfortable. It felt empty, yet cramped. It was ugly and it didn’t look like 30 million dollars was spent there. So I started asking staff and students what they would like to see. I did research on outdoor decoration ideas and how to build some things and I eventually decided to make a ground-level wooden deck that you can put furniture on and plants on the sides. I wanted to paint it and add the SLA logo on the top as well. Since I didn’t get to actually built it, I wrote directions instead. After doing this project, I learned that patience is so important. I also learned first hand that when creating or CADing something, you might feel like you’re done and everything is perfect but you later find that there are a lot of things wrong with your design when you start building it or in my case, writing directions. There are many things that I missed and had to change. https://docs.google.com/document/d/14B4hvAIyckOhBQ4K8thaE0tqhXseRdFyc5m8Z6F69vM/edit?usp=sharing