Love and Marriage - Like a Horse and a Carriage

The Taming of the Shrew revolves around the idea of honesty and deception in relationships which has been around for centuries, as seen in this Shakespearean play where Petruchio, one of the main characters in the play, marries the daughter of Baptista, Katharina upon his personal gains. In the movie Namaste London, the main characters set out to do the same through a female character.

When it comes to exploring some of the difficult parameters that cause hurdles in a relationship, Namastey London does a great job  of making the viewer think harder about what it takes to be in a successful relationship. The plot of the movie revolves a girl named Jasmeet aka Jazz who in spite of being born to an Indian couple considers herself to be British as she was born and raised in England. She wants to live her life her way, and not according to her parents, as she’s being pressured into travelling to India to have an arranged marriage. Although Petruchio and Jazz’s motives for marriage are similarly egotistical, the outcome of the deception is very different. By contrast, Petruchio is blinded by the idea of wealth, control, and power whereas Jazz is blinded by her British boyfriend. Petruchio blatantly continues his greedily campaign throughout his life leading to an almost  failed marriage. However, Jazz ends up falling up in love, which comes out of the blue, and the couple lives happily afterwards. The play and the movie reflect that a successful marriage can be possible with balanced sides through commitment. Thus, a successful marriage cannot be forced whatsoever.

Signior Hortensio, 'twixt such friends as we

Few words suffice; and therefore, if thou know

One rich enough to be Petruchio's wife,

As wealth is burden of my wooing dance,

Be she as foul as was Florentius' love,

As old as Sibyl and as curst and shrewd

As Socrates' Xanthippe, or a worse,

She moves me not, or not removes, at least,

Affection's edge in me, were she as rough

As are the swelling Adriatic seas:

I come to wive it wealthily in Padua;

If wealthily, then happily in Padua. (1.2.10)

In The Taming of the Shrew, Petruchio gives a long speech, which pretty much sums up his character. Here, he says that he does not care if a woman is ugly, old, or shrewish. As long as she has money, he’ll marry her because money is what makes him happy.

Much like Petruchio, Jazz decides to go back to India and date an Indian guy for the personal benefits which would automatically make her parents happy. However, instead of wealth she is marrying in fear of getting deported.

In this scene, a pampered and indulged daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Singh has just been told by her parents that she is in danger of being deported back to India, where she will have to accept her cultural heritage and the traditionally-accepted “arranged marriage” of her family’s culture. The father recalls that being the only child, she pretty much gets away with everything, which includes her desire to marry her thrice divorced boss, Charlie Brown who is the son of a businessman and is known for his self-centered and chauvinistic characteristics. Thus, sensing trouble in Brown, her dad quickly declares the plan of a trip to India with the pretext of tourism. Jazz’s reason for dating/marrying are extremely similar to Petruchio’s because both lack love in the relationship and are only in it for the personal benefits.

I am ashamed that women are so simple

To offer war where they should kneel for peace (5.9.172)

This quote shows that Katherine capitulates herself to the marriage.  Throughout the entire play she was a woman who stood her ground. The fact that she is giving into Petruchio’s fake marriage indicates the tough-girl attitude may have only been a facade. Katherine felt that the marriage was the closest thing to love she would ever get, therefore she submitted herself to Petruchio. The marriage never became successful because of the force Petruchio put on Katherine to agree with him and change her ways.

Jazz also surrenders but instead of staying in the fake relationship with a British guy, she gets out of it, resulting in a successful relationship, happy parents, and a completely different outcome than that of “Shrew”.

In this scene, Jazz is all set to marry her boyfriend Charlie Brown. Just before the ritual take place, something pushes her and she realizes her love for an Indian guy as she surrenders herself and runs away after him to confess about her love. In the final scene they are seen together riding the bike and living happily.

Love is the ultimate requirement for a marriage. These two elements go together like a horse and a carriage as the play and the movie prove this idea. True happiness can only gained when love is balanced from the both sides. The notion of forced marriage caused by selfishness and greediness has been evident through the centuries but the notion of love being the ultimate requirement has certainly changed over the past years. The play, “The Taming of the Shrew” draws upon how men are the powerful ones and the women are just their followers. In “Namastey London”, love is what brought the two people together. After realizing and breaking off of the fake relationship, Jazz realizes her genuine love which results in a real relationship, ultimate happiness, and satisfied parents as well.

Works Cited:

Namastey London
. Dir. Vipul A. Shah. Perf. Katerina Kaif, Akshay Kumar, and Clive Standen. Viacom 18 Motion Pictures, 2007. Netflix.
Shakespeare, William. The Taming of the Shrew. New Haven: Yale UP, 1954. Print.
FRANK SINATRA LYRICS - Love and Marriage. AZ Lyrics. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Apr. 2015.