Podcast #1 by Huzaifah and Katia

In this podcast Katia and I discussed Chapter #1-3 of How To Lie With Statistics. We began by describing the significance of Statistics in general and why it should be taught in every high school. We discussed the topics from pretty much every chapter and talked about how they are important. Furthermore, we summarized everything and discussed why everyone should read this book because of the concepts and ideas it has. 

Podcast #1

Mark Miles (Teacher)
Mark Miles

Good first podcast.

For next time, make sure you respond to the following prompts:

1. Choose one of the quotations inside the front cover and discuss how it relates to the Introduction.
  2. List as many sources of sample bias as you can that are mentioned in Chapter 1 and provide an example of each.
  3. Put the second paragraph on Page 18 (“A river cannot….”) into your own words.
  4. What is the advantage of a stratified random sample and what difficulties does it pose, according to this chapter?
  5. When we see an average reported, what do we need to ask besides which kind of average is being used? Why?
  6. Explain why advertisers often rely on a very small sample to substantiate their claims.
  7. What does the author mean on Page 45 when he says, “Hardly anybody is exactly normal in any way…?”

Finally, when discussing chapters 3, 5, or 6, incorporate the following article into your discussion:

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-lie-with-data-visualization-1563576606

Also, each member of your group should find an article online containing a misleading graph and discuss it during the podcast (be sure to talk about why it’s misleading!). Be sure to include a link to all articles in the text of your post of the podcast that corresponds to chapters 3, 5, or 6.