“Taming the Man” Comparing “Taming of the Shrew” to “She’s the Man”

In the book “The Taming of the Shrew,” the character Lucentio, tends to deceive others for something that he wants to get which is Bianca. Bianca is one of the daughters of a Baptista and she tells Lucentio all her honest word when she finds out that he is disguised as a teacher. In the movie “She’s the Man,” Viola, a character played by Amanda Bynes to where her first goal was to play for the boys soccer team disguised as her brother by going to his college and so, but on the line of doing this, she meets this other person, who is her dorm mate, named Duke played by Channing Tatum and Viola, still disguised as her brother, begins to fall for him. At the end of the movie, Viola later on tells Duke and other people her honest words that she is disguised as her brother Sebastian. Another part of the movie that I will present is where the brother actually comes to the college and this other girl named Olivia kisses him and recites his music lyrics. Duke sees them at the distance and gets very jealous of what just happened because he thought that he could trust Sebastian who before was and still is Viola. The play and the film reflect that People lie to get what they want, but while doing so they tend to stray away from their main goals due to interactions with other people.

"Quote from Play"

Lucentio:"Hic ibat, as I told you before, Simois, I am

Lucentio, hic est, son unto Vincentio of Pisa,

'Sigeia tellus,' disguised thus to get your love;

Hic steterat, and that "Lucentio" that comes a-wooing."

(Act iii, Scene i, 33-36)

In the book “The Taming of the Shrew,” Lucentio is a traveler that is coming into town for the first time with a friend. He witnesses a conversation between Baptista, his daughters, and suitors. Lucentio also along with the suitors see the beautiful Bianca and overhears that when married will inherit half of Baptista’s fortune. At first, Lucentio is only in for trying to marry Bianca for the money but then over time, he actually starts to fall for her.

Viola, dressed as Sebastian, and other of her roommates talking about Olivia in Chem.  

In the movie “She’s the Man” the character Viola has to be disguised as Sebastian, her brother, to get into his college and join the boys soccer team. Viola meets her roommate Duke ,who is the soccer captain, who is good at playing soccer and also finds out that he has a crush on Olivia. Viola then hatches up a plan to talk to Olivia for Duke because he is too shy to do so, and from there Viola, disguised as Sebastian, can get her way into the boys soccer team of she succeeds in doing so. But Viola slowly starts to fall for Duke over the process of doing this plan.

"Quote from Play"

Bianca:”Hic ibat Simois, I know you not;

hic est Sigeia tellus,  I trust you not;

Hic steterat Priami, take heed he hear us not;

regia, presume not;

celsa senis, despair not

Act iii, Scene i, (44-47)

This quote from “The Taming of the Shrew,” Bianca is telling Lucentio that she does not know or trust him, but there is a chance that she has a liking to him and that she does not want any other man know that she is pulling a favor to his side or for Lucentio to be upset because Bianca didn’t choose him right of the back. Lucentio now knows that he is possibly going to be the one that marries Bianca and nothing could possibly get in the way of him doing so. Bianca from this quote gives a direct hint that the other man that is trying to “woo” her is not going to get the chance.

Olivia sees the REAL Sebastian not knowing it was really him and kisses him and recites his lyrics.

Compared to “She’s the Man,” Olivia expresses her feelings to Sebastian, the REAL Sebastian not knowing the difference. She does this with a kiss and recite one of his song lyrics. This scene is actually different from the quote that was picked from the play because in here, Olivia approaches, with full trust, kisses Sebastian. Olivia goes up to a total stranger that she did not meet in person or knows. Sebastian (real) after the kiss was not in despair one bit, for that must’ve been a warm welcoming to his school for the first time.

“Quote from Play”

Bianca to Lucentio:”In time i may believe, yet I mistrust.”

Act iii, Scene i, (53)

This quote from the play was said when Bianca was talking to Lucentio about how she does not trust him yet because he is still a stranger to her but it will take some time to get to know him. Bianca is going to take the time to get to know Lucentio and see if he is the one that she can be with. Over this time, Lucentio does not care about the fortune that he will inherit, but now he is falling for Bianca.

Viola reveals the truth, Sebastian appears, and Olivia is shocked.

With similarities to the play, the scene that I picked had a similar effect from Olivia as Bianca did. Olivia was confronted by the truth her Viola dressing as her brother and then Sebastian coming out to reveal what was going on. Olivia did not lose any of her trust in Viola, she was only confused about what happened, in comparison to the quote, it took her time to figure out what was going on.

In both “The Taming of the Shrew” and “She’s the Man,” what society has it’s attitude towards is that it’s fine to an extent to lie for something that it wants. Society shows that dating can be a hard thing to do when it the set of goals that are trying to be reached through it and within both the movie and play, it is something that was reached through lies. The play and the film reflect that people lie to get what they want, but while doing so they tend to stray away from their main goals due to interactions with other people.

Bibliography:

She's the Man. Dir. Andy Fickman. Prod. Lauren Shuler-Donner and Ewan Leslie. By Ewan Leslie. Perf. Amanda Bynes, Channing Tatum, and Laura Ramsey. DreamWorks Distribution LLC, 2006.

Shakespeare, William. The Taming of the Shrew. New York City: Washington Square, 1992. Print.