Toby Mast Capstone

I

June of last year my sister and I financed a 4,000 dollar vending machine. The vending machine was set up in the local non-profit bike shop Simple Cycle.

The bike shop location did really well at first netting around $400 the first month. Sales didn’t drop till the school year and colder temperatures came, however, we were still sustainable and doing better then we had expected.

simple-cycle
simple-cycle
Back
Back
vending machine
vending machine

This is the point where I decided to make this my capstone.  I was considering two options for expansion involving a charity next door called  Joy in the City, where if sales stayed high, I would franchise a new vending machine, and if the sales dropped I would move the vending machine over to their building.. A few weeks after we got permission from Joy in the City to move over (sometime in october I think) they shut down, This was followed by the bike shop shutting down for the winter because the owner left. In the following months the machine struggled.

vending sales
vending sales
When the rats first came I just moved stuff around, however after that major disaster I learned it is important to overreact to simple problems rather than do the bare minimum.
The final step I took for this project was making an excel sheet of all my sales and inventory information. Maintaining this earlier would have allowed me to deal earlier with the problem of expiring food.With the bike shop back and buisness and us avoiding Philadelphia's soda tax I am excited for the future of this business.
closet
closet
rats2
rats2