Wynn Geary Q2 Benchmark

As I was jarring honey over the summer I re-watched Food Inc. and felt oddly satisfied that I was actively taking down “big honey”. As an urban farmer I’m really exited to eat local food and bring it to the community. I’d like to think that I’m a warrior in the battle against corporate food companies. Although at this point I’m not providing food for an entire community, I would like to in the future. While reading and researching (urban) farming I’ve learned a lot about food that we as consumers are completely blind to. For example, I wanted to get goats and I started thinking how awesome it would be to get milk from local goats, the more I read the more I realized that goats and cows milk works just like a human, they have to be pregnant or a new mother in order for them to produce milk. That means that I would have to birth a baby goat before I could have a goat to milk. That was a moment where I really realized how far away we are from our food that we don’t even know how milking a goat or cow works.

My inspiration for urban farming Novella Carpenter wrote in her book “Farm City” about trying to eat food only from her own locally grown organic garden or trading her own food with friends for other locally grown food for a month. I would love to be able to do this at some point in my life, Maybe I could try it for a week this year eating only eggs, honey and greens from my garden.

Recipe for soft boiled eggs:

Recipe makes 1 serving with 2 eggs per serving.

Ingredients:  

• Eggs (2)

• Salt, Pepper or spices to taste. 

• Coconut Oil (1Tbsp.)

Cooking Instructions:

(Depending on how you choose to cook them, soft boiled eggs can be made differently)

In class I will remove eggs from the carton and crack them into the receptacle (after coating the tin in coconut spray) of the soft boiled egg maker. I will fill the machine with water and place the tray inside, then put the lid on and wait until the timer goes off. I’ll remove the tray and plate the eggs and allow people to add salt if they wish. 

At home you can make soft boiled eggs by placing whole untracked eggs into a saucepan, then filling the pan with water until the eggs are fully submerged. Bring the water to a boil on high heat. Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to a medium-low and cook the eggs for 2-4 minutes (the longer you cook the eggs, the harder boiled they will be, if you like the yolk runny, cook the egg for 2 minutes, if you prefer the yolk firmer, cook for 4 minutes or more). Once the eggs are done, remove them from the water, and gently crack the top of the egg open and enjoy.

Nutrition: 

Contrary to popular belief, eggs do not increase cholesterol. Eggs are a superfood just like Kale and Salmon. Eggs provide very lean protein, with no fat, no sugar and only 78 calories per egg (and even less in the egg white alone) and provide high quality protein providing all the essential amino acids and will keep you full for hours after you eat them.

Sourcing The Food:

What’s really unique about this meal is that it only has one single ingredient, and that ingredient has come from my backyard. Socially, this egg means a lot to me because I’ve connected with my chickens and can see the process from animal, to plate. Part of what urban farming is all about is connecting with your food and when selling it to others, I believe it’s important to share it’s story. What’s awesome is that each egg I bring tomorrow will  be from a different chicken. I’ll be able to explain to people (If they want) which chicken laid which egg and their personality and why the egg is the size or shape that it is. For a detailed plan of how this will go, please refer to this Portlandia clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErRHJlE4PGI.

Again, these eggs have come from my backyard in Philly only 8 miles from school and the only fossil fuel used to transport them will be used by the bus that drives me to school. Unfortunately, my eggs aren't organic, while the chickens are cage-free, free ranging and the feed we feed them is organic, we also choose to feed them table scraps from our house that are not organic. Because the chicken and egg are similar to a mother and baby, the nutrients eaten by the chicken are passed on to the egg. 

One of the best part about these eggs is that they’re free. No one made money off of these eggs, the only real money spent was on the chicken, their food and the chicken coop.  Compared to the eggs you might get at a fast food restaurant, these eggs have much more protein in them, you can even see the difference, store bought eggs are noticeably less vibrantly orange than farm fresh eggs. 

I don’t feel like this is the place to lecture people on the differences between factory egg production and at home egg production, this is certainly a good hook to get people interested. If people are interested, I have pictures of my chicken coop and we can look up images of factory farming and highlight the clear differences between the two. Simple things like cage-free and free ranging and comparing that chickens are kept in cages 24-7 and their eggs drop through the floor and run down a conveyor belt compared to a chicken being able to roam around a clean spacious area and when they feel like laying an egg, they have the option of various nesting places where they can calmly lay their eggs. I can talk for days about chickens.